What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Upgrade your iOS Jailbreak

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap the circular arrow in the bottom left. It will scan your packages, then tap backup. Dropbox is an online storage where you can save your backups. It's free.

i mean backing up the whole ipad [step 2], not backing up cydia packages [step 1].

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try deleting any backups you may have in iTunes. Sometimes, they get corrupted. To do, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices and choose any/all of your iPad's backups. Then try to do the backup again.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so far it takes 4 hours but the backup bar don't move even a pixel since 3,9 hours ago. my ipad contains 26 out of 64 gb (60 gb real), is it normal so i have to be more patient?

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
finally i decided to use my friend's computer sacrificing all my musics (it's ok since i know i still can get them back), i just shocked when i saw how the backup was done in less than 5 minutes! now trying to get to the whole new level of iOS. thanks for caring guys. cheers...

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got this done in about 45 minutes with the iPad 2. Excellent tutorial for jailbreaking!:thumbs:

barz91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this might sound silly but your 12 step guide is so clearly written it is just what i was looking for but unfortunately i want to follow these steps to update my iphone 4 on ios 4.3.3 to ios 5. Would these steps work if followed to updte my iphone 4?
Also i will be using my mac if thy helps at all.

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
barz91 said:
I know this might sound silly but your 12 step guide is so clearly written it is just what i was looking for but unfortunately i want to follow these steps to update my iphone 4 on ios 4.3.3 to ios 5. Would these steps work if followed to updte my iphone 4?

i think you should take a look at the brother of this forum: iphoneforums.net

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
barz91 said:

The guide will work just as well or an iPhone. I've done it many times myself.

debian2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Willl this same technique work with an jailbroken iPad 2 going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1?
Has anyone done this?
Do you still jailbreak before doing a restore from iTunes?
I was under the assumption that doing a restore from iTunes would remove my jailbreak and possibly make the device inoperable.
Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
Willl this same technique work with an jailbroken iPad 2 going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1?
Has anyone done this?
Do you still jailbreak before doing a restore from iTunes?
I was under the assumption that doing a restore from iTunes would remove my jailbreak and possibly make the device inoperable.
Thanks.

Yes, I just did this process on my iPhone 4S (well, it is an iDevice ...!).

And yes, restoring to iOS 5.1.1 will remove your jail break. However, now that there is a jail bro for that iOS, you can just re-jailbreak the iPad.

But no, if you follow the tutorials (and ask for assistance at any potential sticking point) - you can't make the "device inoperable."

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

debian2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, I appreciate your help.

I guess I get myself into trouble because often times, I've had pdf books, audio books or mp3 files that are on my iPad but not in iTunes any longer. not to mention that I've got my iPhone, my daughter's iPod (under my account) and my wife's iPad (under her account) using the same iTunes.

I will need to have the pdf books, audio books and mp3 files back on iTunes to do a proper sync, right? Is there a way to "transfer from iPad"?

:)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, to be on the safe side, you'll need to have that data and files somewhere in another place or in iTunes.

I'm not sure, but they may stay with the app when you do a "transfer purchase" and then a full backup. I had some pictures in the Photos app and some pictures and files in another app (iFiles) and when I finished the jail break, those files were still there (in fact, I had to check just now because I forgot about them when I was copying and backing up ... Whew! They're still there...). I've just looked through various apps I have and all the data that was there before is still there. This includes a book I downloaded from the App Store and had in the iBooks app (and the PDFs, also).

So, while I would not (can not?) say that a back up WILL preserve your data - I can tell you that mine was all there when I "restored from backup" after doing the jail break. I still recommend you save your important data elsewhere, just in case, even if that means you have to do a bunch of e-mailing.

For music or audio books, I would suggest finding a third party program so that you can get them off the iPad and back into iTunes. Because you can't do a sync or "transfer purchases" to put them into iTunes if they are not already there. With iTunes, it's one way: from iTunes to the iPad.

Hopefully, there's some useful info in what I typed. :) Good luck.

Marilyn

debian2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn,
Thank you for your help.
I'm gonna double backup my stuff and then go for it.
I will take notes on my process so that I don't get so confused again.
I will report back!
Thank you for lending a hand to me, I will do my best to pass it on.
Z

Most reactions

Latest posts