What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to turn anything into an iPad stylus.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I was all set to do this a few months ago. I thought I had some conductive foam from a project some time back. Can't find it, probably got thrown away in a move. Okay, I'll go down to Radio Shack and buy some. The cheapest IC's that have conductive foam that is going to be big enough run about $30. Somehow, it just doesn't seem cost effective to buy something I don't need, just so I can throw away the expensive part and keep a bit of foam. These videos need to be labeled, "If you don't already have some conductive foam don't bother watching this."

OP
Linkreincarnate

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
Yeah, I was all set to do this a few months ago. I thought I had some conductive foam from a project some time back. Can't find it, probably got thrown away in a move. Okay, I'll go down to Radio Shack and buy some. The cheapest IC's that have conductive foam that is going to be big enough run about $30. Somehow, it just doesn't seem cost effective to buy something I don't need, just so I can throw away the expensive part and keep a bit of foam. These videos need to be labeled, "If you don't already have some conductive foam don't bother watching this."

This was exactly why I created the video. Conductive foam works but is not the best solution, unless you tinker with a lot of electronics you aren't likely to have it laying around and it is not cheap to source. Wire glue on the other hand can be had for 3$ plus shipping. One container will create many styli and even allow you to use imaginative objects as styli. I recently made my motorcycle gloves ipad compatible using this technique. I've also perfected getting the bits that might scratch the iPad out so this technique should be safe for ipads without screen protectors now.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just confirmed, cigarette foil from pack wrks..lmao. Seriously. I juss tested and will make a decent stylish out of it by wrapping a pen or somethin. Wrks good. What are some good handwriting apps or painting?

Actaully not good..lol. Anything thin enough will seem to be conductive. Doesnt wrk..lmfao. I have a screen protector on since day 1 so no worries about scratches from testing. ;-)

Last edited:

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be mostly for sketching, it is not easy to use your finger lol

level_3676

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great,
but is it really necessary to use stylus on iPad ? I think we'll lose the "fun" factor.

DMelanogaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@PatsPad - check out our last show for examples of how a Stylus is soooo cool for the iPad
Which show is this? I've been searching around and haven't been able to find it. Thanks.

I have a stylus but the thinnest line settings are too thick to take real notes. Would love some ideas.

texaslonghorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello D. Try SmartNote as your notetaking app. I have been using that for work for a couple months now and it works great in the "real world". But I will say that in my opinion, any stylus-oriented app works much better with a DIY stylus that has the smallest tip you can make. And just be aware that you can't make a usable iPad stylus with a tip the size of a felt tip pen. It has to be larger than that to register on the screen. But it doesn't need to me as big as the commercial ones either.

Most reactions