What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer photos from my iPad to Mac

green7o7o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the great benefits of the iPad will be putting a ton of my photos in one, great place to show friends and family (rather than bringing them over to my computer). But I have several thousand photos, all organized on my iPad in folders by year and subject.I would like to transfer them to my mac? How can I do this?
Thanks.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you setup your iPad did you choose to sync your photos with iPhoto? If so just plug in and sync. Your photos should transfer. If however you are like me and chose not to sync photos you can go to the Util... sorry just Applications folder and the Image Capture program which will treat your iPad like a camera.

iPhoto will also see a non-synced iPad as a camera. Just launch iPhoto and then import the images and movies you, like. This will likely be easier for you.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, you should remove the pictures currently in the Camera Roll (Photos), so you won't be duplicating everything. You can do this by connecting the iPad to your computer and then going into iTunes, and under "Devices" on the left hand side of the screen, click on your iPad name. A window will open up with tabs on the top. Select "Photos", under "Photos", un-check "Sync Photos from..." , and sync, this will delete all of the photos on the iPad

You need to setup a folder, on your PC under "My Pictures", such as "iPad Pictures" and make all of the folders you want, with the pictures you want in them (copy, move or drag and drop, your choice), under that folder. Then go into iTunes, under PHOTOS and select "Sync Photos from" and change "My Pictures" to "Choose Folder" and then choose the folder you created "iPad Pictures" open it and select the folders you want to sync to the iPad. Then sync them.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mac, Pocobear. He's linking to his Mac, not a Windows machine. Good instructions for a Windows box though ;)

iPhoto or Image Capture, both will let you get at the photos if you aren't auto syncing with iPhoto already on a Mac.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but the first part of of my post got cut off.

It said that this was PC centric, but should work on a Mac with just a folder name change. If you know how to use a Mac you should be able to figure it out. I don't use iTunes to sync on my MacBook Pro, so I can't check it out.

roselina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1- If your iPad is jailbroken, you can either ssh into it from a local computer and copy all the files. Or you can get a utility to view the filsystem of the iPad and transfer the folder manually.
2- If your iPad isn't jailbroken, you could purchase the ssh app and do the same as above. You could also buy something like GoodReader which will allow you to share files and photos.

jameshobson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tatvasoft.co.uk
follow below steps to transfer photos from your iPad to Mac:

1. Turn your PC and iPad on.
2. Connect your iPad with your PC.
3. Open iTunes and select "Photos" under iPad.
4. Click and drag the desired photos to your desktop and it will be transfered to your PC.

Fopal001

iPF Noob
Reaction score

4. Click and drag the desired photos to your desktop and it will be transfered to your PC.

thank you for sharing, it's really useful...:)

Lincolnlogs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi James,

I have several photo albums on my Ipad. Recently I used the camera connection kit to transfer raw images from my sim card to the Ipad. It saved the images in a folder named recently imported. When I follow your steps and try to sync the 'recently imported' images to my IMAC, only the other folders are seen on my IMAC. The recently imported raw images on my Ipad are not seen or selectable on my Imac.

What am I doing wrong?

Lincoln

alfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In windows when you connect the iPad it sees the iPad as a disk. Thus you can copy the pictures as if your copying form a drive, no loss no conversion. I was trying to replicate this to no avail until i saw this post. This is exactly what i was looking for.

Background is, when i travel i use my iPad as my storage drive to store my pics. When i get home i dump the pics on my PC's external drive. This function seemed lost on my iMac but with this app, it seems i can do the same thing with my Mac. kudos and thank you apple4hong4 !

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivycao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just connect your ipad to your computer. Once it has detected, Open iTunes and select the "Photos" tab. Check the "Sync Photos" box at the top. From the drop-down menu next to that, select the program or folder that contains your photo library. Then just select the photos you want to transfer and drag them to your pc.
Another way is to get a photo backup program to transfer photos from iPad to Mac. And of course you can always google your question tofind articles that may be of great help.

Last edited by a moderator:

machold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I can download from Mac to iPad from Pictures folder (all pics of a selection of sub-folders)(ImageCapture is also handy to reverse the process).
What bothers me is that if I download from a different folder outside of Pictures, say from PICS on the desktop, it downloads, BUT it wipes out the photos already downloaded to iPad.
How do I stop this deletion of existing photos?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
machold said:
OK, I can download from Mac to iPad from Pictures folder (all pics of a selection of sub-folders)(ImageCapture is also handy to reverse the process).
What bothers me is that if I download from a different folder outside of Pictures, say from PICS on the desktop, it downloads, BUT it wipes out the photos already downloaded to iPad.
How do I stop this deletion of existing photos?

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

These 2 links may help you here
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/4621-how-sync-photos-your-ipad-itunes.html
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Drop box for my photos. Camera from my iPhone or iPad sends them directly to Drop Box to both plus my lap top. I can arrange them from there and it syncs to all three. Works for me.

Most reactions