What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell how much 3G I use monthly?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OMG Marie!

I'm shaking my head in amazement! WHY do you have the 2gig plan? I don't mean to lecture BUT really, if'n you hate AT&T so much, why are you giving them an extra US$14.00????

Fortunately, you have time to either change down to the US$14.95 plan or cancel auto renew--you need to act on this change a couple of days before your renewal date of 09/16/2010.

I wish AT&T would offer rollover data like some carriers offer voice minutes. This would be a great plan for you--at the rate you are using the data plan, assuming you have been doing the same amount in the last three months, you would have a huge bank of data download capability! Actually, that would be a great plan for me too. I still have 100 mgs left and my month ends 09/17/2010.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umm...well, I was afraid I would go over and heard that would be very expensive, Matt.

And I need something to ensure I will always be able to acess the Internet. Anywhere, anytime, pretty much.

Reading my numbers there, you think I should reduce my plan? I know that it will auto next week...

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
YES! Change it cause You are buying too much

Insurance to have connectivity anytime, anywhere.

I had the same concern as you about being able to connect anywhere anytime but after three months on the limited plan, I am confident that i won't need the 2gig plan. Besides, it is easy to re-up or add more data.

Now regarding this hatred you have for AT&T...I too hated this company. They have awful customer service, their service inconsistent, and they charged premium prices for subpar service. Two years ago I had a run-in with a customer service rep regarding my cellular service, not only did my conversation get heated, but at one point the rep stated, this is our policy, take it up with the board of directors! I took her advice and bought 100 shares of AT&T stock and every year I take GREAT delight in voting down every single director up for re-election. That was my way of taking it to the board of directors!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good for you! You have a lot to offer this forum, Matt. Don't me a stranger, Sir.;)

So ~

Matt, are you sure I won't go over if I reduce?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are too kind!

However, Marie, you are spending too much money on AT&T! Based on the information you provided earlier, in the past 25 days you averaged 1.2 mgs of data. In order to consume your entire allotment, you would have to download 403 mgs of data every day for the next five days to get your money's worth.

I told you I was a stockholder of AT&T, so I'm glad you are spending so lavishly on AT&T--your generosity helps pay my dividends!

But as a friend, I would definitely encourage you to get the minimal US$14.95 plan. If you go over 250 mgs (unlikely as revealed by your info earlier), you can spend another US$14.95 for another 250 mgs. You would incur a .95 cent increase versus what you are spending today.

I enjoy this forum. I have gotten more out of it than anything I can offer of equal value.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. I am going to reduce it now. Thank you so much, Matt!

c654de07.png

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, if I reduce now, as opposed to next week, they will bill my card immediately. You'd think they wait till I am due....

So I will wait and do it on the 15th. Hopefully, they wont hit my account early!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do Wait Until The Day Of Expiration

Or even the day before just in case.

Have a great rest of your day, going to meet other friends at this new barbecue place that just opened.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay ~ I lowered my plan to the $14.99. Now my orig amount of $25 was due to be taken out today ~ but it has not been yet.

And they stated that they are going to bill me right way for the $14.99. Do we pay in advance?

Please tell me they are not going to hit my account for $25 and the $14.99....

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I guess AT&T isn't interested in new customers btw....I finally broke down after 3 years and went to talk to a salesman about getting an iPhone. I would keep my verizon line of course....since it would also be nice to be able to make phone calls.

I was told, not only did they drop the unlimited data plan....the highest you can now get is 2GB for $25 a month!!!

I was like...ok, guess you don't want to have any new customers.

AT&T notoriously sucks as a phone carrier for making calls...the only thing they have going for them right now is the best data consuming phone on the market and they are going to heavily restrict data consumption by only offering an insultingly low monthly cap???? This is crazy! I really hope Apple gets out of this ridiculous exclusivity deal and gets on Verizon. I will buy one on day one.....whether I can upgrade or not!!

You know what's funny.. AT&T owns most the cell towers in America. And if they don't own it a lot of the electronics is AT&T owned. Also the BLM leases land for cell towers (land owned by blm) and often one company builds a tower or two depending on services that antenna powers, then that cell company leases that tower out to another cell company.

Also I can understand their data limits. If you have X amount of people streaming data, well those towers can only handle x amount of TX/RX at any given time. Before it wasn't an issue bicause video stream was too large of data plus data speeds just weren't there. Now data is smaller for the same content and data speeds are higher. So streaming is the killer. Not so much we surfing or email.

I feel the 2gb limit is set because it's enough for email and surfing. And to steer away from streaming.

Wait a few years, there is some really neat stuff packed in those cell shacks. But I can't go into detail about that.

Based on what I know I prefer tmobile for my calling but sprint has their setup perfect when it comes to data.

Most reactions

Latest posts