What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to subscribe Podcasts on iPad?

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I recently got my first Apple product ever, an iPad 2.

Generally i am very happy with it, one thing bugs me though:

Way before it was delivered I already had iTunes installed and were browsing through Apps and Podcasts.
I also subscribed to some (Video-)Podcasts and downloaded a couple of Videos directly to iTunes.

When my iPad finally arrived, I synched with iTunes and everything was fine, all videos got transfered etc.
But it seems that new episodes of subscribed podcasts are only downloaded automatically in iTunes, NOT on the iPad.

Even more, subscribed Podcasts with no current episodes are not even shown on the iPad?

The next time I start iTunes it will automatically download all new episodes and sync them perfectly to the iPad.

But how can I get new episodes of ALL subscribed podcasts directly and most of all automatically directly to my iPad ?

Might be a noob-question, but I checked all the settings already and could not find anything ...

Thanks!

stooney

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't played with pod casts much, but I think if you open your iTunes app you should be able to select podcasts from the bottom of the screen. You probably need a good wifi connection to download them though.

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
I haven't played with pod casts much, but I think if you open your iTunes app you should be able to select podcasts from the bottom of the screen. You probably need a good wifi connection to download them though.

Please read my question again, in iTunes, everything works fine anyway...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are misunderstanding. There is an iTunes APP on your iPad. You can also download podcasts from this directly on your iPad. You CANNOT subscribe directly on the iPad AFAIK, so you either need to use the sync with your desktop method or download them manually on the iPad. OK?

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, seems like I really misunderstood before. And from your reply I guess it's just not possible to do that automatically like I wanted to.
A pity really, why does this work in the iTunes Software but not on the iPad ...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you'll discover that Apple likes to maintain the iPads reliance on desktop iTunes wherever possible when it comes to media content...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good find DefBref. The app does allow you to manage podcasts much more comprehensively than the iTunes app on the iPad, however they are completely separated (so the podcasts never show in the iPod app) because of Apple's sandboxing.
So it is still a compromise. Maybe in iOS5 we'll be able to do it in the native iPod app!

Toochief

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just plug the thing into your computer once a day and it will sync em up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
This may be useful iCatcher! (a podcast catcher app) for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store haven't tried it myself but from description should do what you want.

Wow, this really sounds like just what I wanted, thank you !
I still don't understand what goes on in Steve Job's mind (but then again who does ...)

It makes wayyyy more sense to subscribe and download podcasts on the iPad, because *this is where iwatch them!!!*
It would be totally acceptable if I had to initiate the actual download of episodes manually (just like App-Updates)

But the fact that subscribed podcasts are completely removed from the iPad if they do not contain at least one episode is totally unacceptable.
Hope that App does the trick ....

Thanks again!

@Toochief: are you the resident troll here?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it sounds like this might be a good solution for you stooney which is great news, but remember lots of people use their equipment in many different ways.
I have an iPhone, iPod, and iPad and therefore managing my media, such as podcasts, through iTunes on my Windows PC is actually the most efficient thing for me, and I've been doing it for the last 6 or so years... Everyone is different, and what's perfect for you will no doubt be terrible for someone else... That's just life I'm afraid. Great you got a result though.

Oh, and don't feed the trolls! :)

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Yes lots of different ways for lots of different people, for instance I don't even store any podcasts ( or any media for that matter) on my iPad. Just use homesharing to access my iTunes library and then AirPlay to wherever I need it, atv in living room, airport expresses in kitchen and bathroom. If I need podcasts or music out of the home then I sync my iPhone to the library.

KeithSloan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at Downcast app

Take a look at "Downcast" app. Saves having to go via iTunes

ipadfreak69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KeithSloan said:
Take a look at "Downcast" app. Saves having to go via iTunes

Hi KeithSloan, would you Happen to know if Downcast comes already installed with the same podcasts as iTunes, or is this app solely for keeping of the podcasts that you download from ITunes?

Lavada

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KeithSloan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DownCast

Has nothing to do with iTunes.

You search and subscribe to podcasts directly from Downcast. No need to hook up to PC or Mac. i.e. Its like icatcher as far as I can tell. Some people prefer it to iCatcher. I got it as a result of a recommend on Twit's iPad today

If you have a lot of podcasts set up via iTunes you would have to set them up again via Downcast

Most reactions

Latest posts