What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to search HDd...

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I uploaded a file to my iPad 2 and now need to know ... How do I search my HDD for file by name? I need to find the file as well as note where stuff ends up.

JustinOhio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pinkipad said:
I uploaded a file to my iPad 2 and now need to know ... How do I search my HDD for file by name? I need to find the file as well as note where stuff ends up.

From my understanding...... The iPad does not have a file system that is like a pc in which files reside in directories and subdirectories (at least not for the scope of my post) instead, think of it as each app has its own file system and manages it's own files as needed. So when you upload a file to your iPad, it should be going to some specific app. How did you upload it and what file was it?

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my understanding...... The iPad does not have a file system that is like a pc in which files reside in directories and subdirectories (at least not for the scope of my post) instead, think of it as each app has its own file system and manages it's own files as needed. So when you upload a file to your iPad, it should be going to some specific app. How did you upload it and what file was it?

Ewww thanks! The files were test.html and about.html. I downloaded using iStorage HD, as I could not find many FTP programs. I need to test before I buy.

I didn't realize the file system was so different than Windows. There I can easily search the HDD for a file. They need that feature on Apple! It just seems, well, odd that I can't search my system.

JustinOhio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pinkipad said:
Ewww thanks! The files were test.html and about.html. I downloaded using iStorage HD, as I could not find many FTP programs. I need to test before I buy.

I didn't realize the file system was so different than Windows. There I can easily search the HDD for a file. They need that feature on Apple! It just seems, well, odd that I can't search my system.

Try dropbox. That will allow you to have files readily available. I use it and love it

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try dropbox. That will allow you to have files readily available. I use it and love it

Hm, I have played with it a little, Dropbox that is, but I'm a bit unsure of it. if I go to iStorageHD and double tap, it downloads. But where does it go? I'm not given an option to choose a folder, so need to search the HDD to put it in a folder, then open in Dropbox.

See my dilemma? Or am i missing something here? I see the option to search Dropbox, not my HDD. I'm too used to Windows where I can choose the location.

Most reactions

Latest posts