What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1TB HDD on iPad2 - step by step guide - Camera Connection Kit

carioca10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Dan!

I have got it by using Acronis Disc Director.

I wish I could find a decent external battery pack to power the External HD for 12/24 h, instead of using the USB port of my laptop. Which minimum power and charging requirements would be needed?

IMP battery packs are no more sold to Brazil.

Aye, it's just the original poster saying something about lba, not sure how to go about that and can't seem to find an answer on it

Scratch that, acronis disc director can format it to fat32 lba

Last edited:

dreyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to follow these direction with no success, ifile never reads the portable drive. Im not sure if i'm formatting the drive correctly. When I toggle Usb via sbsettings a error message stating that the hd...... device is not ready/not present. The drive is FAT32 format but not sure if I got the bootable (LBA) part correct. I also get the error message device requires too much power when I plug the drive in. I have bought two extra Y cables thinking that may have been the problem to no success. Do you have any ideas??

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you using to power the drive? If you are getting the "too much power" message you are not supplying adequate power to the external drive.

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an AirStash+ with 64 GB SDXC cards to read and write to from my iPad3. Greatest thing since sliced bread

dreyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to follow these direction with no success, ifile never reads the portable drive. Im not sure if i'm formatting the drive correctly. When I toggle Usb via sbsettings a error message stating that the hd...... device is not ready/not present. The drive is FAT32 format but not sure if I got the bootable (LBA) part correct. I also get the error message device requires too much power when I plug the drive in. I have bought two extra Y cables thinking that may have been the problem to no success. Do you have any ideas??

Im using a "y" cable plugged into my standard mac wall power adapter with a toshiba 1tb. Im still getting the power error.

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the toshiba drive designed to be powered from the USB port? Some require their own separate power in addition to the USB connection.

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im using a "y" cable plugged into my standard mac wall power adapter with a toshiba 1tb. Im still getting the power error.

Try a different wall power adapter not for mac. It might have restrictions on how much the hard drive needs. Also try switching the cables around. Few cables have been marked that some are designated to be power and one for data. Some don't. Also try with another portable hard drive if you can with those y cables. The USB toggle tweak might be friendly but not as reliable as the manual way. You can find more information in the stickied posted above in the Hacking section called "Using External Storage Devices with the iPad "

Most reactions