What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save shsh blobs for ios 5

abiswas0916

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 wifi-3G iOS 5.0.1
Which I jailbreaked few days ago
Now I want to know how do I save the SHSH blobs for this iOS so that I can downgrade my iPad in future if by chance I upgrade my iPad
Please help :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 wifi-3G iOS 5.0.1
Which I jailbreaked few days ago
Now I want to know how do I save the SHSH blobs for this iOS so that I can downgrade my iPad in future if by chance I upgrade my iPad
Please help :)

First, you can save your SHSH blobs for iOS 5.0.1 by downloading and running the [free] application Tiny Umbrella. The program will save your blobs to your computer's hard drive. In addition, I believe that Cydia is still automatically collecting blobs for devices that are jail broken and go to Cydia.

However: At the moment, those blobs do you no good! There is no way, at this time, to downgrade an iPad2 if you've "accidentally" upgraded to a software version that doesn't have a jail break. Repeat - there is no way. We all save our blobs for the "just in case" moment (and habit) but they are no good to us right now.

The only solution is to protect your jail break and make sure you don't upgrade your software until (unless?) the jail break community has announced a jail break for any new software.

Bottom line: Once a new iOS version is out - protect your jailbreak as there is NO going back.

Marilyn

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 just to clarify, I was under the impression that you can't downgrade to an earlier version of iOS 5.x.x but can't you still downgrade to 4.3.3 provided you have those blobs saved?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, you can still downgrade to iOS 4.3.3 - if you have blobs saved.

I think I see where you're going with this: If you "accidentally" upgrade off of 5.0.1 (or, you lose your jail break because you had to restore), then yes, the only way you'll be able to be jail broken is to go down to iOS 4.3.3 (IF you have blobs). So, that's one way to save yourself and keep a jail broken iPad - albeit on an older iOS. As always - no blobs for 4.3.3 = no downgrading to that iOS.

BUT - you can never go back to iOS 5.0.1. And who knows when (or if) the JB community will be able to jail break a newer version. So, yes, you'll be jail broken at 4.3.3 - but on an iOS that will get older ... and older ... and older.

So, the caution still stands: Protect your iOS 5.0.1 jailbreaks! :)

Marilyn

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have jailbroken my ipad 2 5.0.1 and giving it to my uncle for use... but he's not a tech guy and not familiar with computer stuff.... are there notifications that ask you to update to newer version on ipad 2? (i have no ios product) or you must go to settings and software update manually? i am afraid he might update to a newer version by accident...

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5.0.1 is currently the latest version so for the time being you are safe. But as soon as the new ios is released the ipad will ask to upgrade through a notification message in itunes.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the last time I heard, the new over-the-air firmware upgrade ability that comes with iOS 5 does not work on jail broken devices. You have to connect the jailbroken device to iTunes to actually upgrade the iOS. Someone at the time said it was a "present" from Apple - in that you couldn't "accidentally" update on the iPad itself. :D I've not heard anything that says this is not still the same.

So, your only worry is with iTunes. And, as long as you read those little pop-up boxes, you should be okay (Apple will not force you to upgrade - you have to accept the option). Oh, and when you do receive the pop-up from Apple (in iTunes - when the new release is out), there is a box in the pop-up you can check to tell iTunes to NOT ask you to upgrade again. That's what I did so that I don't get pop-ups...

With a little bit of advanced care - and watching out for the new release - you should be okay. Just, keep an eye out for that upgrade so you can head your uncle off at the pass! :)

Hope that reassures.

Marilyn

Last edited:

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the last time I heard, the new over-the-air firmware upgrade ability that comes with iOS 5 does not work on jail broken devices. You have to connect the jailbroken device to iTunes to actually upgrade the iOS. Someone at the time said it was a "present" from Apple - in that you couldn't "accidentally" update on the iPad itself. :D I've not heard anything that says this is not still the same.

So, your only worry is with iTunes. And, as long as you read those little pop-up boxes, you should be okay (Apple will not force you to upgrade - you have to accept the option). Oh, and when you do receive the pop-up from Apple (in iTunes - when the new release is out), there is a box in the pop-up you can check to tell iTunes to NOT ask you to upgrade again. That's what I did so that I don't get pop-ups...

With a little bit of advanced care - and watching out for the new release - you should be okay. Just, keep an eye out for that upgrade so you can head your uncle off at the pass! :)

Hope that reassures.

Marilyn

ok.. that would be cool if you can't update ios via jailbroken ipad directly :) ... my uncle just has the tendency to click on update whenever he sees one lol ...

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what are the steps i must follow to reduce chance of updating ios by accident? e.g. some blocking apps .. i am going to save shsh blob too just in case

Most reactions

Latest posts