What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH blobs - tiny umbrella iOS upgrade

manic9803

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys quick question, I have an iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.5. I want to upgrade to 5.0.1 (since 5.0 is no longer available). In order for me to resort back to iOS 4.3.5 what do i need to do?

From what I've read, if I save my SHSH blobs I can always degrade to 4.3.5 is this correct? I just want to make sure I'm safe and able to downgrade in case theres s jailbreak out for 4.3.5 before 5.0.1. I saw the recent news regarding the jailbreak but I just want to be safe with my iOS upgrade or downgrade options. Thanks guys.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, you can no longer save blobs for anything besides 5.0.1. So, sorry, iOS 5.0.1 is your only option for now. Unless you stay at 4.3.5, which I don't recommend. The next jailbreak for iPad 2 will be some iOS 5 version, wether it be 5.0, 5.0.1, or 5.5.

OP
M

manic9803

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting, I thought as long as I had the current iOS I could save their blobs? How come you can't save them if I have the device with that iOS?

I'm not sure if I should upgrade to 5.?, thinking it over still. Though I would agree with you, I believe the next jailbreak will be for iOS 5.

OP
M

manic9803

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Have a look at this sticky here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24323-shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions-updated.html

It will explain why there is a difference in saving SHSH blobs and current firmware. Essentially, they are two entirely different processes.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, I read the link but this is why I'm confused.

"6. So I can only ever restore the "current" firmware?
NO! Here's the science bit. If you are smart and save your SHSH Blobs away, you can re-use them in the future once Apple has stopped providing them for that particular version of IOS. Apple won't give you blobs for 4.3.3 today, but if you saved the ones they gave you for 4.3.3 when you originally installed it, you can fool iTunes into using them because there is nothing in the current blob security which makes them expire. As long as you have them saved you can re-use them as much as you like. Genius!"

So with that being said I'm on 4.3.5. If I'm missing something I apologize just want to make sure I save my blobs if needed before I upgrade to 5.0.1.

Thanks fir the responses so far!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can only save blobs during the time frame when Apple is signing (e.g. authorizing) that firmware. It does not matter what iOS you are on, it only matters when Apple is authorizing that firmware.

Traditionally, Apple only authorizes one firmware version at a time. When they release a new firmware, they stop authorizing the old firmware. If you have not saved blobs for a firmware by the time Apple stops authorizing that firmware, you can NEVER save those blobs. They are gone for good.

That's about it. Apple closed the window/stopped authorizing iOS 4.3.5 when they released iOS 5.0. In fact, the window for 5.0 is gone, now that 5.0.1 is released. However, because saving blobs is a separate process from what version is on your iPad, you can download Tiny Umbrella right now and save SHSH blobs for 5.0.1 - and still have iOS 4.3.5 running on your iPad.

Bottom line: Saving blobs depends solely and entirely on when Apple is signing or authorizing a certain firmware version, never on what version you have on your iPad.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
M

manic9803

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You can only save blobs during the time frame when Apple is signing (e.g. authorizing) that firmware. It does not matter what iOS you are on, it only matters when Apple is authorizing that firmware.

Traditionally, Apple only authorizes one firmware version at a time. When they release a new firmware, they stop authorizing the old firmware. If you have not saved blobs for a firmware by the time Apple stops authorizing that firmware, you can NEVER save those blobs. They are gone for good.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

That helped a lot I understand now. Thank you both for clarifying I suppose it's time for me to try out 5.0.1 before they release another update and I'm unable to save blobs. Thanks again you were a great help.

Most reactions

Latest posts