What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to retrieve apps that "overflow" off the screen?

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's probably going to be a simple answer and I'll feel like an idiot later, but here it goes....

after all of my app pages were full, I downloaded another app. It's on the Ipad, and if I use the search function I can find and open it, but it's not on any of the screens. I deleted a few apps to see if it would allow this one to show up on one of the pages, but no luck. I also connected the Ipad to my computer and opened Itunes, and it's not showing in there either.

How the heck do I get it to go into one of the empty spots on one of the pages?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Geez, how many apps do you have? I've got over 100 and that hasn't happened yet.

If you have blank spaces on some of the pages, I would guess you have some corruption of the home screen data. Is settings/general you can reset the Home screen without losing anything important. It creates a first page like when the device was new, and puts the rest of your apps on pages 2-???? In alphabetical order.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gasp, all app pages were full? Wow.

I think Search is the only thing you can do until 4.0 is released - after which you can stack apps in folders.

OP
spinfreak

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol. It's not all that hard to fill up all of the app screens, especially considering that I have most of the apps on here that I already had on my iPhone. It's able to hold 11 pages of 20 apps each, for a total of 220 apps (including the "home" screen)

I did the homepage reset, and that worked to put the missing app onto one of the pages. Now everything is out of the order that I was used too. Lol

Thanks for the help :)

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that just happened to me. Good luck I found this thread.

I can see 11 home screens on my iTunes, but the 12th is greyed out. I can move apps from there to the other screen, I will delete some first. And as posted above, if you do a search, it will show the app, but you have to know the name of the app, not it's description, as far as I can tell. And as we all know some cool apps have really stupid names, so that's not always obvious.

Crazy limitation, what the heck? I won't reset all of them, I have them pretty well ordered.

first page: in car apps, plus to do list, calendar, settings.

second page: google, apps to find stuff (restaurants, taxis, maps, etc.)

third page: news; print , plus community stuff (facebook, twitter, etc.)

4th page: news - videos, sport apps

5th page: app stuff (cydia, rock, iblank, etc.)

6th page: photo editing video, plus sharing (flickr, phanfarre)

7th page: utilities (level, webmd, amazon, paypal, ebay, igarage)

8th page: more utilities (cookbook, guitar chords, etc.)

9th page: games for kids and babies

10th page: games

11th page: games.

12th page: last downloaded apps, it's not shown...:(

Most reactions