What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to restore ipad 1 to factory settings, after jailbreak usage

Mopepom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a new iPad 1 in June 2009 and have had great success using it - principally connected thro wifi at home, to the net. I am an enthusiastic user of a wide range of apps, notably for News, Finance, Investing, Banking, twitter, blogs and email. I have long been intrigued by the possibility of jailbraking and when Comex came up with jailbreakme.com, I became hooked on JBd 4.3.3. This turned out to be a dead end, since the young hacker took a job with Apple Computer. I don't blame him of course, but this has left folks like me at the point of trying to return to the orthodox Apple user fold. I figure there is a lot of very useful life left in my iPad, if I can ever get back to the factory settings.

I did try to follow the instructions posted by Redmond Pie about restoring. But I got into a horrible mess - finger trouble most likely. Now I am stuck with a lovely iPad, WITH NOTHING ON IT, as far as I can tell.

I am asking for some step-by step procedures that I can follow to RESTORE the iPad 1 to its factory settings.

I have 2 XP machines, on which iTunes 10.6.1 fails to execute, and a new Lenova Thinkpad with Win 7, Home Premium, that I am trying to use. I have good DSL internet connection to the Lenova.

Help would be welcome.

OP
Mopepom

Mopepom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I followed this guide very carefully, plus I disconnected all USB devices. The restore did not complete - now itunes reports a 1611 error. The iPad screen eventually shows the Apple logo with a horizontal progress slider just below it. The status msg on the itunes screen shows that the software on this ipad is being restored. After about a minute, the Apple logo and the slider disappear to be replaced by a blank (slightly bluish) screen. The status msg on the iTunes screen says that the iPad could not be restored. An ubknown error occurred (1611). Also, at this point, there is no device listed on the left side of the itunes screen. Any suggestions.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've moved your thread to our Hacking Section where you will receive a better response.

OP
Mopepom

Mopepom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After spending much time on the task to restore my ipad 1, I found that I had a program resident in my laptop, which caused the Restore operation to fail. This is "WIFI SYNC". I got rid of this thro the Add/Remove feature and things went right, all of a sudden. I don't recall why I installed WIFI SYNC, but is a real lulu, if you want to go back to your factory settings. It should be added for one of the things to look for, when trying to Restore.

Many thaks to those who gave me advice. I am now a lot more careful, about programs from unknown sources.

Now I am running 5.1, not JBd, of course. I will wait patiently for the whiz kids to fix" this. I do miss many Cydia functions. MaYBE aPPLE SHOULD HAVE A LOOK AT THEM, AND INCLUDE THE BEST ONES IN A FUTURE RELEASE OF ios?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got it working in the end.

Of course you can jailbreak your iPad1 on 5.1. I have mine done. The only restriction is it is a TETHERED jailbreak. This really is not a big deal if you never or rarely reboot your iPad. I've had mine jailbroken for weeks and never needed to restart it once :) Your choice of course. Tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...orial-jailbreak-ipad1-ios5-using-redsn0w.html

Whilst I would rarely recommend a tethered jailbreak for an iPhone, I have no hesitation on the iPad since our devices have such large capacity batteries and need a restart so infrequently.

OP
Mopepom

Mopepom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Glad you got it working in the end.

Of course you can jailbreak your iPad1 on 5.1. I have mine done. The only restriction is it is a TETHERED jailbreak. This really is not a big deal if you never or rarely reboot your iPad. I've had mine jailbroken for weeks and never needed to restart it once :) Your choice of course. Tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/49435-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad1-ios5-using-redsn0w.html

Whilst I would rarely recommend a tethered jailbreak for an iPhone, I have no hesitation on the iPad since our devices have such large capacity batteries and need a restart so infrequently.

Thanks for the excellent discussion and reference to the Guide for Tethered JB iPad 1. This was very informative. Since I scared myself witless trying to Restore, I think I had best wait a while, to build my confidence. I wonder what is the probability of getting an Untethered JB solution in the next few months?

I must say, the regular IOS 5.1 works beautifully on the iPad 1. I ran some quick comparisons against the ASUS EEE Transformer, recently updated to "ice Cream". Function by function, I found my old IPad 1 works better and more smoothly than the ASUS, which seems to have some rough edges and is not fully developed.

I think someone getting into tablet computer usage, would be well advised to buy a large memory iPad 1 with WiFi, at a reduced price, for this being "out-of-date". This should be ideal for occasional users in your family circle, provided someone has a new iPad with some bells and whistles.

Anyway, I am glad I found this forum. It is great to have access to your experience and ideas!

Most reactions

Latest posts