What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to re-install a paid app?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For some reason I need re-install an app that has been paid. How could I re-install it without paying for it again?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
If you are using the same itunes account that bought it, find it in the app store and download it, it won't charge you.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using the same itunes account that bought it, find it in the app store and download it, it won't charge you.
To add to this, the button should say "Install" instead of the price. Additionally, on the iPhone you could browse through your purchase history (under the App Store select "updates" and it's the top option) and find it there. The iPad has a separate option at the bottom next to "Updates" called "Purchases".

Last edited:
OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suppose you mean to do it in the app store of the iPad, not iTunes on the iPad. Please clarify!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Either way, if you are using the same Apple ID that you first purchased the app with - you can download it again from the App Store on the iPad or by using iTunes. Doesn't matter. With Apple, once you buy an app, it's yours to download over and over again, whether on the iPad or via iTunes.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Either way, if you are using the same Apple ID that you first purchased the app with - you can download it again from the App Store on the iPad or by using iTunes. Doesn't matter. With Apple, once you buy an app, it's yours to download over and over again, whether on the iPad or via iTunes.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

Marilyn,
It's my understanding that yes you can download an app several times.
Although I believe, and from experience that those several times can't exceed 5 downloads for a paid app. Or you must pay again.
But you can call Apple and verify this if you don't believe me. I know, as I've already experienced this wall.
Free apps, you can have all the downloads that you want and then some. Not so for paid ones.
Most people don't have more than 5 Apple products going simultaneously, so more than five dowloads is not warranted anyway.

Chas

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've downloaded a paid app a dozen times to the same device after deleting it. Not a problem.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
I've downloaded a paid app a dozen times to the same device after deleting it. Not a problem.

Hi thewitt,
Why so many times?
I had bought an interesting game and installed it to my new iPad 3. But later was having problems with the new iPad. So I tried restoring it a couple times, and eventually had to return it for another, mainly because of lack of touch sensitivity on the screen.
So like suggested had downloaded it again, but had other issues trying to remove unwanted contacts, so I restored it a couple times before I learned the correct way.

When I went to reinstall the game, I discovered that I had already downloaded it five times and was requested to repay for it.
I contacted Apple tech support folks and they reimbursed my payment, so that if I had to repay, I actually wasn't paying twice, for the sixth download.

Not sure what you are referring too, but I'm thinking it was actually a free app.
Please contact Apple and check if I'm correct.
If you did what you say, rare occurrence, & You Sir got lucky.
I wouldn't suggest others attempt what you have done.

Seems we can buy an app or game and sell free copies to everyone we know, because there are unlimited downloads available, huh!!

Not likely, it just doesn't make sense. And as Judge Judy would say, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true."
Not to doubt you, but I have my own experience to draw conclusion from.

Chas

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thewitt,
Why so many times?
I had bought an interesting game and installed it to my new iPad 3. But later was having problems with the new iPad. So I tried restoring it a couple times, and eventually had to return it for another, mainly because of lack of touch sensitivity on the screen.
So like suggested had downloaded it again, but had other issues trying to remove unwanted contacts, so I restored it a couple times before I learned the correct way.

When I went to reinstall the game, I discovered that I had already downloaded it five times and was requested to repay for it.
I contacted Apple tech support folks and they reimbursed my payment, so that if I had to repay, I actually wasn't paying twice, for the sixth download.

Not sure what you are referring too, but I'm thinking it was actually a free app.
Please contact Apple and check if I'm correct.
If you did what you say, rare occurrence, & You Sir got lucky.
I wouldn't suggest others attempt what you have done.

Seems we can buy an app or game and sell free copies to everyone we know, because there are unlimited downloads available, huh!!

Not likely, it just doesn't make sense. And as Judge Judy would say, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true."
Not to doubt you, but I have my own experience to draw conclusion from.

Chas

I have had the same experience as thewitt, but there is a limit to how many times you can download the same paid app in (I believe) a given 6 month period. It was the latter limit you probably hit.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I myself have downloaded the same paid apps as many as 8 times on various devices and have not experienced any problems in doing so.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joeyteel said:
I have had the same experience as thewitt, but there is a limit to how many times you can download the same paid app in (I believe) a given 6 month period. It was the latter limit you probably hit.

Hi joeyteel,
And your point is?
I'll ask you the same question, Why? Seems like you two couldn't make up your mind, and why would you uninstall any app 12 times in the first place?
Again makes no sense, so likely not true. But thanks for sticking up...
To me that just sounds like a steaming pile of B, no hault, lets just call it horse pucky... more polite way of describing, well you know.

That may very well be the case, under normal circumstances, but I only had my two new iPad 3's for less than one month-combined.
If you folks are downloading the same app more than 12 times, there must be a problem aside from the app... agreed?
So what up?

edit:
Ok, I just called Apple, and was told ten is the limit. So if you have done so 12 times, I'm calling it bunk. Straight up!!
Do you have 10 Apple devices? Yeah, no. So Again I must ask, why the 12 downloads? Ah, please be honesty, eh.
Not trying to start an argument, but would like some clarity here, if only for my peace of mind.

Chas

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem in my case, simply downloading paid apps onto 8 different devices.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi joeyteel,
And your point is?
I'll ask you the same question, Why? Seems like you two couldn't make up your mind, and why would you uninstall any app 12 times in the first place?
Again makes no sense, so likely not true. But thanks for sticking up...
To me that just sounds like a steaming pile of B, no hault, lets just call it horse pucky... more polite way of describing, well you know.

That may very well be the case, under normal circumstances, but I only had my two new iPad 3's for less than one month-combined.
If you folks are downloading the same app more than 12 times, there must be a problem aside from the app... agreed?
So what up?

edit:
Ok, I just called Apple, and was told ten is the limit. So if you have done so 12 times, I'm calling it bunk. Straight up!!
Do you have 10 Apple devices? Yeah, no. So Again I must ask, why the 12 downloads? Ah, please be honesty, eh.
Not trying to start an argument, but would like some clarity here, if only for my peace of mind.

Chas

It's none of your business why, and I'm sure not going to answer someone who essentially called me a liar

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I checked with the developer of one of the paid apps I have. They say I can have updates for free. I don't know if free updates apply to all apps. I don't know either if I just simply download again to get the free updates.

Most reactions

Latest posts