What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to properly restore ipad for selling?

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read somewhere that even if you restore your ipad, when you set it up again it'll ask that you log into the itunes account previously attached to the device. Is there a proper way of formatting and resetting the ipad for selling?

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i was scrolling through settings, under iTunes at the bottom is a reset section. Go through the sections and at the bottom there are resets to original settings that erase previous accounts and passwords as well as reset bottom on back of device

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you reset your iPad, it's important to disable "Find my iPad" in iCloud.
That done, erase all content and settings.

OP
Z

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I need to remove all my accounts from the device? imessage,icloud, etc etc also?

And is it sufficient enough to just hit restore in itunes while connected to the computer? I just don't want to have the buyer to come back and say "hey what's your password" after.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do I need to remove all my accounts from the device? imessage,icloud, etc etc also? And is it sufficient enough to just hit restore in itunes while connected to the computer? I just don't want to have the buyer to come back and say "hey what's your password" after.
erasing all content and settings, after turning off find my iPhone, will delete everything you added to the iPad and will leave it in the same state it was in when you purchased it.

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am concern now after reading this thread.

I took my iPad 3 to Apple Store and they replaced it. I actually was required to do the restore; however, I did not know that I should turn Find My Phone off, nor did the service rep advise me.

Can my information be subject to compromise now?

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked for me- I disabled find my iPhone and then just went into erase settings and then realized I never went to clear my account- i was afraid my Id was still there so i re-set it and then deleted in the above said order( overkill it turns out) I still saw both of my iPads in iTunes listed but after turning off my computer and restarting it, only the new one shows up now

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the cases where it asks for a previous account even after you've done a full erase and restore is because the SIM card is still in the slot. You can't erase the SIM card with a restore and the ipad will read that phone number on there and assume you want the iCloud account related to it. It will also assume you want imessages sent to that old number delivered to you.

So remove the SIM card.

Most reactions