What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Step by step upgrade from old iPad to new iPad

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently I'm backing up my iPad 3 (iOS 6) to iTunes (not sure what version, but it's in MacOS 10.7.5). If I upgrade to iPad 4, are the following steps in proper order and/or needed? If not, what's best approach?

1. Back up to iTunes

2. Quit iTunes on Mac

3. Reset iPad 3 (erases all apps, settings, etc.)

4. Shut down iPad 3

5. Boot up iPad 4

6. Launch iTunes on Mac

7. Restore iPad from iTunes

8. Okay to sell or depart with iPad 3

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
goofy8275 said:
I think you should be ok ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I mean, could it be easier? Skip some steps?

Or safer? to ensure a smoother transition? Am I missing a step?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Don't need step 2 and 6.

Only need step 3 and 4 if your getting rid of your old ipad.

Minimum is 1, 5 and 7.

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In other words, I'm sure millions of iPad1 users have done it upgrading to iPad 2. And millions more upgrading from iPad2 to iPad3. It seems to be a no-brainer, so maybe i'm overthinking it.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In other words, I'm sure millions of iPad1 users have done it upgrading to iPad 2. And millions more upgrading from iPad2 to iPad3. It seems to be a no-brainer, so maybe i'm overthinking it.
If you're keeping ipad 3, really all you need is 1, 5, 7. If selling it, 1, 3, 5, 7, 8(?)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No!!!

Don't reset the iPad 3 until you're totally up and running on the iPad 4. There is no need to wipe it unless you plan to sell it before buying the iPad 4. You can wipe it after the new iPad is up and running and you have verified that all your data is transferred over correctly.

There also is no need to shut down the iPad 3 while you restore to the iPad 4.

I'm assuming here that you are using a sync cable to backup and restore rather than wifi. Wifi can be rather slow if you have a lot of data and apps.

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Don't need step 2 and 6.

Only need step 3 and 4 if your getting rid of your old ipad.

Minimum is 1, 5 and 7.

What about the possibility of having two iPads (iPad3 and iPad4) identically sync'd from iTunes? Wouldn't that be trouble?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
veryken said:
What about the possibility of having two iPads (iPad3 and iPad4) identically sync'd from iTunes? Wouldn't that be trouble?

Not at all, I have had two synced identically. Although my two iPads are no longer identical they do share the same iTunes account, iCloud account and backup to the same Mac.......some of the apps are shared and I've never had a single issue.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Just give them different names. I did a straight transfer from my iPad 3 to my iPad mini. And they are named iPad 3 and iPad mini.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Nope, as they will start to diverge from each other as you use them and they are easily distinguishable by itunes as they are different models. Naming them differently would help.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see no issue with having two iPads synced to iTunes containing the same content.

Most reactions

Latest posts