What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Step by step upgrade from old iPad to new iPad

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No!!!

Don't reset the iPad 3 until you're totally up and running on the iPad 4. There is no need to wipe it unless you plan to sell it before buying the iPad 4. You can wipe it after the new iPad is up and running and you have verified that all your data is transferred over correctly.

There also is no need to shut down the iPad 3 while you restore to the iPad 4.

I'm assuming here that you are using a sync cable to backup and restore rather than wifi. Wifi can be rather slow if you have a lot of data and apps.

Unfortunately, as Thanksgiving is fast approaching and the new iPad that I want will not yet be available, I will have to depart with the old before possessing the new. But then I'm not too worried about data transfer. Instead the concern is getting a new Apple ID properly registered with it before departing with it. Possible?

And yes about docking cable backup.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
veryken said:
Currently I'm backing up my iPad 3 (iOS 6) to iTunes (not sure what version, but it's in MacOS 10.7.5). If I upgrade to iPad 4, are the following steps in proper order and/or needed? If not, what's best approach?

1. Back up to iTunes

2. Quit iTunes on Mac

3. Reset iPad 3 (erases all apps, settings, etc.)

4. Shut down iPad 3

5. Boot up iPad 4

6. Launch iTunes on Mac

7. Restore iPad from iTunes

8. Okay to sell or depart with iPad 3

You're going to have to download the latest version of iTunes to your computer before you start.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
veryken said:
Instead the concern is getting a new Apple ID properly registered with it before departing with it. Possible?

And yes about docking cable backup.

Why do you need to register a new Id, let whoever is buying it sort that out, they might already have a apple Id.

Edit: never mind read your other thread.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts