What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Organize the Apps?

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any trick to how the apps appear on the ipad? When I first loaded them, they were in alphabetical order, which I guess is okay. But as I add new ones, the computer just tacks them on the end. I know I can manually move each one, but I don't want to go there since I have over 130. Is there a way I can sort by category, for example?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can press on the icons until they start to squirm. Once that happens, you can press and drag the icons to whatever page or location you want.

Zardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not as of yet, iPhone 4 os will add folders and will be a welcome site for me.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS Hit home to end. You can rearrange to a limited degree, as it will maintain a fill order on each page.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that they also didn't add a way to filter apps within iTunes. For instance when I first got my iPad 3G and synced it for the first time, under the apps tab (I had prepurchased a bunch of apps), there was no way to filter out and just show me iPad HD apps. WTF? I have over 300 iPhone apps and it took forever. I now find it easier to just dload and manage my apps on the device itself. I cant wait for 4.0 and app folders...most of my apps dont get used because I cant get to a certain type when I need it.

Does anyone know if under app folders if you will be able to put the same app in multiple folders? Almost like a shortcut? Because I can see having a "Daily" folder for the things I access ALL the time, then having categories for "TV", "Kids", "Productivity", etc...

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once connected to your computer, open iTunes and select your iPad. Then select the Apps tab.

Then you can drag and move and delete one at a time or by multi selection. What I normally do is make the first page my HOT HOT apps. 2nd page is reference / communication. 2rd tab is games. 4th tab is general applications. 5th tab is utilities.

When you're done organizing - hit sync.

iPAD4ME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just figured out how to put the apps in alphabetical order in just a few steps woot!!

On your iPad go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Home Screen Layout ....tadah!

This discovery has made my slightly OCD self very happy lol!

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you jailbreak it, then you get the Cydia app "Categories" which gives you folders.
Very similar to the folders from OS4.0

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can live with the disarray you can just used the Search feature to launch apps. I use the reset/alphabetical order trick myself, and occasionally search instead of flipping five pages to get to an app.

iPAD4ME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can live with the disarray you can just used the Search feature to launch apps. I use the reset/alphabetical order trick myself, and occasionally search instead of flipping five pages to get to an app.

I have 11 pages to flip thru, thats a overload of disarray lol!!

Last edited:

iPAD4ME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rick Ornberg;25738 Make sure you keep checking to make sure they stay in alphabetical order. :D[/QUOTE said:
LOL don't tell me stuff like that, it kills me to download a new app, but those free ones I cannot resist!! :O

ARDOTBEE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question and most likely posted in the wrong thread but, when does the new operating system for the iPad come out? I know os4 for the iPhone comes out in e summer.. Is this the same time to expect it for the iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts