What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organizing pictures inside albums

dialce01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im new on the forum so not sure where exactly this thread would go, hopefully im in the right place.
I have a problem, well, more like an annoying situation with my Photo app.
I've used folders (not iPhoto) from my mac to import my photos into the iPad, but for some weird reason Itunes or the Photo app itself organize them randomly, the way they want it, i guess going by the date they were created, not alphabetically, the way i want them to be.
No matter how I try, the loading order into the iPad photo Gallery is unpredictable. I've used alphabetic and numeric file names, and none worked. Additional to this, there's no way I can manage to see what's the file names on the iPad once I've imported them.
I use the iPad as a portfolio preview, and the sequence of the photos (and their filenames) are essential.
Is there a way to this out there I've missed, or some inside trick with the existing software to control the names, content, and photo sequences of folders?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
dialce01

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your best bet is to put them into a power point presentation. iTunes usage of photos is sketchy at best.

alspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that you may be able to do it by setting up a folder system on your iPad. I haven't got time to check it right now but if I recall correctly my photos load in the order I place then within the files.

1. create a new folder, for eg. name it:
iPad photos
2. go inside this new folder and create five new folders and name them for eg:
- Cambodia trip
-Southern California
-British Columbia
-My Bentley
3. drag or copy/paste pictures inside those five folders.

4. start iTunes: make sure your USB is connected on your PC and your iTouch/iPad.

5. in photo sync do the select a folder: find the folder: iPad Photos
select that folder then click "apply" to start synchronize.

6. when sync is completed, start your iTouch or iPad and touch photos, now all the five albums with pictures will appear.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What he's saying though is, within the folder, even if he names the photos 1, 2, 3 they get put into the album randomly.

OP
D

dialce01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise Matth3w, i guess that would be the last option left to do... Hope this will be one the fixes on OS 4...
Cheers

rjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem arranging photos in folders

I have the same problem. I don't believe there is presently a way to fix it. I have talked with iPad Technical and they admit as much. Recommend as many people as possible complain about this and hopefully Apple will provide a fix in their next operating system upgrade, along with providing printing. I think their random arrangement has something to do with matching people's faces, etc. I have carefully arranged mine in order with title slides and scans intermingled. All my title slides and scans end up at the end of the folders. I keep looking to see if there is an app that will fix it, but haven't found any yet. Having to use Keynote or Power Point would be a real pain, when simply numbering them should do it.

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had my photos organized in folders in my PC. I used itunes to add these folders containing photos to my itunes library. When I synced my Ipad with itunes, the same folder structure got copied on to my ipad. I do not see the subfolder structure, but I can see the main folders.

Last edited:

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is great room for improvement in the area of photo management on the iPad, because right now as far as I can tell it is just a frozen folder that you can look at but not change and not even search. I think with all the other stuff Apple did the photo end of it got left for later and of course we get the update in the fall for free but then we will need to pay for the next update that may contain the things we need to arrange, search and edit photos.

BoazTV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
APPLE PLEASE LISTEN! You MUST upgrade the photo viewing app, or provide a professional one. My wife is a photographer who got the ipad to show her portfolio at meetings. The fact that she cannot rearrange, or delete/hide photos within an album, DIRECTLY on her ipad is unacceptable.
There must be an APP that is available for more professional portfolio viewing. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

drpep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out (photo sort for iPad) app. It costs a $1.99 but I think it will do what you are looking for. It was updated recently and helped with the user instructions that it really needed.

BoazTV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Organizing Photos on Ipad Without Syncing with Computer

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

rjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo Sort App for Sorting

I just downloaded and tried the Photo Sort app and I do NOT recommend it. It tried to upload a folder of 40 photos (that I had originally downsized from how they came out of the hi-res camera) that were already installed in the iPad Photos app and failed. Ended up with an untitled folder that does nothing. When you bring up an album in the upload menu you can touch each photo in the album individually. Then after a slow upload the individual photo will appear in Photo Sort, RENUMBERED by the app in the order you touched them, not labeled, numbered, or ordered the way they were originally on your PC. Photo Sort then seemed to think each photo was an album. I don't see any way to re-sort and relabel the photos. This is not the answer I'm looking for. I simply want the photos to be arranged in the same 01.jpg, 02.jg, 03.jpg, etc. order I had them on my PC.

drpep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rjensen, I'm not sure why this didn't work out as well for you as it did for me. I will try to explain how I dd my photos and see if it might help.
On my pc I put all the pictures I wanted on the iPad in a folder named photos for iPad. I just copied these photos from all my albums on my pc so I can keep these separate for the iPad without messing up all my albums on my pc. I synched this folder to the iPad so I had all these photos in my photo app on the iPad. Now to the photo sort app, I hit the plus sign in the top right corner of the screen and that gives me a folder named untitled. I then tap on the end of the txt to get my cursor there and name this album. I then tap the down arrow at the bottom center of the screen to bring up the photos that I want to sort and name. I tap each photo I want in this album and then press done. The photos you tapped will then be loaded into this album. I am not sure how many photos it can do at one time as I only did about ten to twenty at a time. Keep in mind you have to have the album selected that you want the photos to be loaded into. Photo sort does everything alphabetically as to where albums and photos are within the albums. You can name the photos like 0001.jpg and so on. The picture you want as a cover photo needs a name like that to be on the front of album.
This is how I did mine and I am sure it could be done easier. Depending on how many albums you create it should end up looking like the pictures in the photo sort store app.

rjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo Sort App - Thanks for the Explanation

Drpep, thanks for the explanation. I already have about 2000 photos in over 40 folders that I have previously synced with itunes from my PC to my ipad. These are of our various trips we have taken. When we come home I make text slides telling about them and sometimes scan additional material to insert. To make sense they need to be in the order I want them. The ipad Photos app scrambles them and puts the text slides and scans usually at the end of the folder. So far I haven't had any luck rearranging those photos in those folders that already exist on my ipad.

Maybe Photo Sort will work better for me next time I just load some new photos into my ipad and then use Photo Sort to put them into the folders, as you have explained.

Thanks again for the explanation.

drpep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because photo sort puts everything in alphabetical order you will sometimes have to get a little inventive to get the photos in the order you want them in your photo albums. I have some positioned by the numbering system and some by lettering system.

Most reactions

Latest posts