What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MP4 files & display size in the iPad 2

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I had noted, the original WMV file was 1920x1080. And the converted mp4 file was set to 1024x768, which is the iPAd2 resolution, which is what the converter set for iPad usage. This produced a less than full screen image. Since the aspect ratio is different, I would expect some black bars, but not on all sides.

As I've said, I'm going to stop beating a "dead horse", and just live with what I have for now.

The program I created the original HD WMV file does offer the opportunity to save as an MP4 file. In the future, I will try saving as an MP4 file directly from there, to see if that changes anything. I did not have the iPad 2 when I created all the WMV files in question.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and postings.

This forum is a very nice place to visit for iPad activities. And I will certianly be back for future assistance.

Bocaire

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I've said, I'm going to stop beating a "dead horse", and just live with what I have for now.

Ok...it is your choice. I was going to do my testing, but I guess there is no need to now. Of course, there is no question that one can create MP4 files that play as they should on an iPad. Many have done so.

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...it is your choice. I was going to do my testing, but I guess there is no need to now. Of course, there is no question that one can create MP4 files that play as they should on an iPad. Many have done so.

I did try one more thing, on a hunch.

The original WMV files that I created were done at HD resolution 1920x1080, and then converted to MP4 at 1024x768. I went back into the software where I created the original files, and set it to 1024x768 for the WMV file.

I then went to the converter and chose the iPad2 MP4 format as the output setting, and converted the WMV to MP4.

Then I loaded that new file onto the iPad, and it is now displaying as full screen, with of course a few small black bars for those images which have a slightly different aspect ratio.

So thanks again for everyone's inputs.

Bocaire

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad you got it working. As you know, sometimes you have to keep pushing buttons until the solution presents itself.

Most reactions