What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get photos onto iPad without iTunes or Camera Kit

Cookster670

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys..my first post

I have searched long and wide and cannot find an answer to my question, so hoping you guys can help me out.

I have an iPad and sync everything, including my photos, from my desktop PC. ie one itunes library..which is fine by me

I have a netbook PC which i take with me on holidays to backup my photos and edit them at the end of each day. I'm an amateur photographer, so it's important to me to be able to back them up from my SD card to my netbook, correct them..etc, and then when i get home i upload to my desktop PC

However now I have an iPad, which has such a beautiful display, i'm wondering if there is a way to get the photos from my netbook to my ipad while away.

I know there are "ways" so sync an ipad to two computers, but that seems to be problematic if you already synch all your data from another computer.

I know I can get a camera connection kit, but it scales down the photo and probably does destructive edits (ie edits that change the original file) so that doesn't really suit either.

So what i want to know if there is a way i can do my edits then copy them to the ipad. The only thing i can think of is to do the edits on the netbook, export them to an SD card, and then import that SD card via the connection kit.

Any other ways ? Something simpler..ie like an app that will let me connect the ipad to my netbook and drag and drop ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just purchased the "Photo Transfer" app last night and it is fabulous. Take a look at it, it may be just what you need.

bleighty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dropbox is another app that might work for you.

Its a free install for your ipad/iphone/droid/pc/mac..

You install it on all systems you want to share files with (online repository).

The online shares are linked to folders on your PC/Mac. You can drag files (photos, documents, pdf, mp3, anything your iPad can view or open) into your dropbox share and you can grab it in your dropbox App on your mobile device.

I export small JPGs from my lightroom catalog directly to my dropbox folder and instantly can view them on my ipad. its VERY fast.. I am VERY impressed with the app. I have it installed on my PC at home and my laptop at work as well as my iPad and my Droid. pretty f'n sweet I tell ya!

Obviously it requires a network / wifi connection ..but thats kinda assumed.

I am *hoping!* for a lightroom app or some sort of tethering application for the iPad .. we will see.

bryan
bwlphotography.com

bleighty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for Photo Transfer!!!

Great application to get files from PC to iPad very quickly.

$2.99 purchase but well worth it for what it does. Also looks like you can send to another iPad or mobile device. Its little apps like this that make the systems so damn cool.

Now.. if only it could save into specific folders for better organization.. well.. then we'd have something here.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could also upload them to a photobucket or flickr account and then download them via the app linked to your account on your iPad.

RayfieldNeel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for Dropbox. My Linux work desktop/Windows work laptop/personal MacBook/personal Linux station/iPhone/iPad, all linked by a common, free Dropbox account. Works wonderfully.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever consider some of the photo editing software that is available for the iPad? Might just go from the Camera to the iPad....

OP
C

Cookster670

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your reponses guys. I already have a drop box via picasa and that photo transfer app does seem useful, however when traveling, I cant assume I'll have a wifi connection. I was hoping for a method that used the USB cable.

I think I'll download that photo transfer app anyway..seems like a good idea..just wish it worked with a cable as well

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another vote for Dropbox. You can access it from any computer and have your pics accessible anytime you have the internet.

OP
C

Cookster670

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The issue is I wont have internet on vote devices. Possibly not even one. But I did find a solution.

I can update the photos on the netbook

Then copy all of the edited photos to a blank ad card to a folder named DCIM

Then use camera connection kit to import photos from card.

So a bit convoluted, but it means that I only have to edit photos once and can then display them on the iPad screen. It's not a perfect solution but good enough

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo Transfer is awesome. it can transfer up to 32 photos at a time over Wifi from your iPhone to the iPad. It's very fast and error free in my experience.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all your reponses guys. I already have a drop box via picasa and that photo transfer app does seem useful, however when traveling, I cant assume I'll have a wifi connection. I was hoping for a method that used the USB cable.

I think I'll download that photo transfer app anyway..seems like a good idea..just wish it worked with a cable as well

Get the camera connection kit and an SD card. Copy pics to the SD card on your laptop. Plug it in to the iPad with the camera connection kit. I was under the impression that this would work, but I havent tried it myself yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, you mentioned that it would scale them down. I didnt know that. I know it pulls the JPG out of a RAW file, but didnt know it would scale them down. On the other hand, you wont be able to store a lot of super high res photos in your iPad. I actually like how iTunes scales them down - saves a lot of space. I do all the sophisticated editing and such on my laptop anyway.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts