What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete photos taken with the ipad

180nickyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the ipad photo app open in the Photos tag, I click on the edit top right, the left delete tag red appears but not glowing, I touch the photo and a blue circle with a white arrow appears, I now touch the red delete tag and nothing happens. Now all the pictures on this ipad were taken with the ipad. If I take a picture now I can delete using this method. In photo stream, and Albums the photos delete ok. If I start tapping the photos some will light the delete. I have no idea as to how to delete the photos I want to.:rolleyes:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Choose the Albums tab. Do you have any albums other than the camera roll and possibly some imported albums (which will include Import in the name). If so, then one way or another you synced some pictures using iTunes.

If not, I have not idea what is going on. All I can suggest are the usual fixes, and try again.

Usual fixes:
----------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP

180nickyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the reset without any luck. In the Albums I have 7 folders, Camera Roll, Dropbox, Photo Stream, And a couple that have Dates before their name ie 2012-06-17 Holidays. I can save from the Photos Tag, a photo to another folder, and from the new folder delete that photo, but it's still in the Photos Tag, that I want to delete it from.Thank you for your response and help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
DropBox?

Are you by chance jailbroken?

I can think of only two other reasons you would have an album named DropBox. If you set up your Dropbox folder on the computer to sync through iTunes, or you created a DropBox album in the app itself and move some photos there?

At any rate, every photo in the app shows up in the Photos tab. It's the everything list. If all your albums were sitting on a bookshelf, the Photos tab would be like looking at all the pictures on the bookshelf; without the inconvenience of having to open the albums.

I'm also unsure about the albums with dates before them. They might be imported albums (from a Camera Connection Kit) but I don't remember being able to set up names for them. Or I suppose they might be synced albums from iTunes, if you have picture folders with those names on the computer.

OP

180nickyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi The term Jailbroken?, I'm not sure what that means. I'm now trying to copy my photo's back to my laptop, without any luck at the moment I plug my ipad into the laptop, and with the explorer I can see my ipad, I open the hard drive and can see my DCIM folder as expected, there is only one folder in there, 8600KMZO, I have no idea where that came from, that's not the folder I expected to see.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you don't know what jailbreaking is, you aren't jailbroken. It can't be done by accident.

That is not what I see when looking at my iPad, but a little research shows that it is OK. What the folder is named depends on the version of iOS you are using. I see folders named 100APPLE, 101APPLE, and a couple that end in IMPRT, but 8600KMZO is also mentioned in a couple of articles I've found. Your pictures should be in there.

Hold in mind this only where the camera roll, and imported pictures show up. If you've synced with iTunes (I'm still not clear whether you've done that or not) those photos will not show up here.

It's not a good idea to delete pictures this way if you can avoid it. It is better to delete them directly from the iPad. Or in the case of pictures synced through iTunes to remove them on the computer, then sync again (or turn picture syncing off in iTunes and sync again).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - a new avatar! :thumbs: I seem to never change mine - lazy, I guess?

Your advice, as usual, outstanding - I don't completely understand the problem w/ the OP, but:

@Nickyboy - please make sure that you have followed the instructions below from the previous post and that your iPad has indeed re-booted - you need to hold down both buttons 'long enough' for the logo to appear - good luck! :)

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - a new avatar! :thumbs: I seem to never change mine - lazy, I guess?

Just for Halloween. I was goofing with a Photo Booth shot. It started to look creepy, so I took it through several other apps for creep maximization. Serendipity and an attack of the doodle.

Nothing productive to see here, move along. ;)

OP

180nickyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have done the reset, I did know how to do it as I reset about once a month. I'm away from the computer that my ipad is synced to at the moment, I will look at the problem again when I return to the UK. Thank you once again for all your assistance.

Most reactions