What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I delete photos?

Janset

iPF Novice
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
187
Reaction score
13
Location
Perth West Australia
Hi all.

When I click onto the "photo" icon on the home screen I am taken to a page that has a number of photos on it.

On that page I am given a number of options, one of them being the option of viewing the photos as a slide show, but no delete options.

If I tap on and hold on a photo up pops the option of copying, but I still do not know how to delete the photo.

How do I go about deleting any of the photos from that page?

Advice please.

Regards.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
 
Hi hpulmer.

Thank you for your quick reply, but my problem still persists.

I did exactly as the above pictures (in the link) show. A red "delete" button does appear (near top right of screen) but it does not work! It does not matter what I do with it or the screen, I just can not get it to work. :-(

Any further suggestions?

Regards.
 
Janset said:
Hi hpulmer.

Thank you for your quick reply, but my problem still persists.

I did exactly as the above pictures (in the link) show. A red "delete" button does appear (near top right of screen) but it does not work! It does not matter what I do with it or the screen, I just can not get it to work. :-(

Any further suggestions?

Regards.

Is the button (theletters) greyed out?
Did you try to select a photo while the redbutton is there?

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠
 
Hi hpulmer.

Yes on both counts. The red button was grayed out and I did select a photo.

I have (in a way) found a work around but it is tedious and time consuming. I sync the iPad with the PC using the USB cable. Then I go and find the folder on the PC that has the photo stored in, and delete it (the photo) from there. A second or so and the selected photo disappears from the iPad.

Like I said, tedious. I bet no-one pointed out this little annoyance to Steve Jobs when he was raving about the iPad :)

Regards
 
Janset said:
Hi hpulmer.

Yes on both counts. The red button was grayed out and I did select a photo.

I have (in a way) found a work around but it is tedious and time consuming. I sync the iPad with the PC using the USB cable. Then I go and find the folder on the PC that has the photo stored in, and delete it (the photo) from there. A second or so and the selected photo disappears from the iPad.

Like I said, tedious. I bet no-one pointed out this little annoyance to Steve Jobs when he was raving about the iPad :)

Regards

Well, that is very strange - having 6 i-Devices in my family it does not happen on any of them - also checked if there might be a restriction
 
Hi again.
Yes it is strange. I rechecked the way I tried to delete very carefully with the same negative results. I am stumped as to why the red delete button is greyed out.

I guess I will have to keep slugging and hopefully stumble onto the answer.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF
 
Just another shot into the blue: force quit the photo app (double tap home, tap and hold the icon in the dock until it twiggles and the red dot with the minus appears, tap the minus) and reboot the iPad, holding power and home button until the Apple appears again...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠
 
Bingo! I know where I have been going wrong.

The photos that I was trying to delete were the ones that were transferred into the iPad photo folder 'from' the PC as a result of syncing with the computer. These photos can ONLY be deleted from the computer.

The photos that are taken "by" the iPad and loaded into the (same) iPad photo folder "can" be deleted from the iPad as the delete button now works as it should.

A valuable lesson was learned here. :)

Thanks for your help, it got me thinking laterally.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF
 
Janset said:
Bingo! I know where I have been going wrong.

The photos that I was trying to delete were the ones that were transferred into the iPad photo folder 'from' the PC as a result of syncing with the computer. These photos can ONLY be deleted from the computer.

The photos that are taken "by" the iPad and loaded into the (same) iPad photo folder "can" be deleted from the iPad as the delete button now works as it should.

A valuable lesson was learned here. :)

Thanks for your help, it got me thinking laterally.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Well, something I did not think of as I do never import photos from PC...

But very good to know you solved it!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠
 
You cannot delete iTunes synched photos directly from the iPad. You must connect it to computer and sync with a selection of photos those you want removed. Photos taken with the iPad camera can be deleted synching.
 
Janset said:
Hi again.
Yes it is strange. I rechecked the way I tried to delete very carefully with the same negative results. I am stumped as to why the red delete button is greyed out.

I guess I will have to keep slugging and hopefully stumble onto the answer.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF

You have to high light that picture before deleting it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top