What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I delete photos?

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

When I turn on my iPad, appearing at the same time as the power-on slide there is a small Picture of a flower. This is synonymous with the app icon appearing after the iPad is up and going. When I tap on either of these icons I am presented with a bunch of photos.

My question, how do I delete these photos?

At some time or other in my attempts I manage to bring up a red "delete" button but it is greyed out and does not work?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Regards.

Mm

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a feature that you turn on and off in settings. Under pass code lock you will find the picture frame setting. Picture frame allows you to have photos show when your iPad is charging. You will see other settings for picture frame in general settings.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this one crop up in a while. Thanks for that answer, Czevski. The photo frame was introduced with iOS 5, and immediately became a non-hit. It certainly is not the easiest, or most intuitive, feature to turn off. It had a few of us scratching our heads, if I remember correctly.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a feature that you turn on and off in settings. Under pass code lock you will find the picture frame setting. Picture frame allows you to have photos show when your iPad is charging. You will see other settings for picture frame in general settings.

Hi Czevski

O.K., I admit I may be slow in some circumstance and this may be one of those circumstances, but where do I find "Pass code Lock" as I can not find it under settings let alone find Picture frame.

I have gone through Settings with no joy, and pass code still remains allusive . Again your help please.:eek:

Regards
user-offline.png

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image-1136964901.jpg

I'm on iOS 6 and this is the general settings page. I don't know how the up arrow got on the photo but the other arrow points to pass code lock.

uv147

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when yu open each photo there is a trash can icon, use it or delete the photos using itunes

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all.

When I turn on my iPad, appearing at the same time as the power-on slide there is a small Picture of a flower. This is synonymous with the app icon appearing after the iPad is up and going. When I tap on either of these icons I am presented with a bunch of photos.

My question, how do I delete these photos?

This is for your question "how do I delete those photos" (that appear when you press the flower icon before unlocking or by opening the Photo app - the one with the flower icon).

All the photos that appear when you press either icon are those that are loaded on your iPad. The icon on your lockscreen is to a picture frame function, which will make all your pictures show in a slide show. This function cannot be turned off, though you can edit the slideshow effects and appearance by going to your Settings app and adjusting it. See here:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348924377.575532.jpg

So, all you can do with that icon/function is watch the pictures in a slideshow. To delete them from your ipad, you will have to do so within the Photo app. Again, all the pictures that show are on your iPad and can be accessed via the Photos app (the flower icon that shows when your iPad is up and running).

To delete those pictures, open the Photo app/tap on the flower icon. You will see this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348925107.581028.jpg

After following the steps in the picture above, you will get this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348925143.817124.jpg

After that, you can delete photos or send them via e-mail (among other things).

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Sadly, the problem still persist despite your excellent tutorial and advice.
Here is how the problem manifests it's self.

I click on the Photos tab (when my iPad is up and running) which gives me a full page of photos. Of the 6 tabs now showing along the top of the page only 3 are accessible - Photos, Slideshow and Edit. (Photo Stream, Albums and Places are greyed out).

**I do not have a curved arrow as you describe Marilyn.

Marilyn, your next (black and white) picture shows 3 icons (in your green square) located at the top left of the picture, one of the them being the "delete" button.

For me to get the delete button to come up I need to tap the "Edit" tab (described above as being one of the 3 accessible selections).

When the "Edit" tab is selected, I am now presented with only 2 a fore mentions tabs (as opposes to your 3) and those being, "Share" and "Delete" these appear in the left top corner, with "Add to" and "Cancel" appearing in the top right corner. The "Cancel" button is the only one accessible. The others, including the "Delete" button are still greyed out.

However, in this mode when a photo is selected a small tick appears in a blue circle and the "share" and "Add to" and the "Cancel" button now become accessible.

The "Delete" tab is still greyed out.

So I find that I am still unable to delete photos despite your excellent tutorial. I am guessing that your tutorial is for iOS 5 where as I am running iOS 6 and that may be the fly in the ointment.

Just as a point, your screen snapshot of "Picture Frames" settings are the same settings that I have in place.

uv147....no trash cans of any kind can be found anywhere by me, the delete button is simply a red rectangular tab.

czevski.......In Settings, under Passcode Lock and headed "Allow access when locked", (sub section) Picture Frame is set to "ON"

So guys, it looks like I am still in need of your wisdom. ;)

Regards

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HI there.

No it's not. This icon I only mentioned in passing. What I want to delete are actual photos that I have on my iPad taken by me.

Marilyn was on the right path I think, but her tute showed different tab selections than what appear on my iPad even though I follow her instructions to the letter.

Regards.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like things have changed in iOS 6. Its 1am here, so I'll take a look in a few hours and get back to you, if you haven't got it sorted out. I haven't looked around the camera roll since I updated.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Looks like things have changed in iOS 6. Its 1am here, so I'll take a look in a few hours and get back to you, if you haven't got it sorted out. I haven't looked around the camera roll since I updated.

Hi there.

Just as a point, I noticed that all these photos that I am trying to delete appear to be albums of folders or whatever they are called on the IPad, if that helps.

Regards

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BINGO!! Problem solved.

Start iTunes on the PC and connect the iPad. When the Syncing is complete, click the "Photos" tab at the top of the iTunes page.

When the page is displayed on the PC, click and select "Selected folders" (the middle button of the 3 listed) and under the heading of "Folders" de-select all the folders that you want to remove from the iPad.

In my case I de-selected all the folders.

When I again went back into "photos" on the iPad, I was rewarded with that satisfying phrase, "No photos or videos".

Problem solved.

I appologize for referring to this problem as a "photo deleting" problem when in fact it turned out to an "album deleting" problem. I will hide my shame behind the word of "ignorance" of the iPad. :eek:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

P.S. Yeah, that's one little thing left out of my tutorial, sorry. If you've put those picture on your iPad using iTunes - you can ONLY take them off using iTunes. Regardless .... it's fixed and I'm happy for you. :)

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

P.S. Yeah, that's one little thing left out of my tutorial, sorry. If you've put those picture on your iPad using iTunes - you can ONLY take them off using iTunes. Regardless .... it's fixed and I'm happy for you. :)

Hi guys

The irony of this problem is that I did not knowingly put these photos into folders and load them. Some of then magically migrated from my PC to the iPad but the lion's share came from my iPhone and belonged to the previous owner when he gave me his 3GS.

Hopefully this will no longer be an issue in the future. :)

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts