What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to change user account on iPad?

Wati Kamayana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband has registered both the iPads and his iPhone under his Apple username but I use one of the iPads and want to have my own account. How do I de-register the iPad in his name and re-register it in my user account? Thanks for your help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My husband has registered both the iPads and his iPhone under his Apple username but I use one of the iPads and want to have my own account. How do I de-register the iPad in his name and re-register it in my user account? Thanks for your help.
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Before you register with your own Apple ID, go to Settings - iCloud. If Find my iPad is enabled there, turn it off, just to make sure there won't be any complications.

That done, go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings. This will remove his Apple ID, apps, books, music, files and settings from the device, and when the iPad starts again, you can set it up with your own Apple ID. You'll need a payment method ("None" is a possibility) for your account.

Another possibility would be to go to App Store - Featured, scroll down to his Apple ID and sign out. Then sign in, choosing "Create Apple ID" and set up your own Apple ID this way.
The content that was on the iPad before, will still be there in this case.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Johanna - thanks for your response, but some clarification for the OP may help, i.e. by setting up her own account on the iPad, she needs to realize that if the 'Erase all Content & Settings' option is used, she will not be able to DL previous app purchases under her husband's account while signed-in to her own; in the second option, apps will remain on the iPad but cannot be updated when needed if she is again signed-in to her own account.

Now, I've not yet gone through this process (we have 2 iPads under the same account) - SO, what are the options for those having (or wanting to setup) two Apple IDs, for getting previous purchases on the device w/ the new account - thanks to those who respond - this is often a confusing situation. Dave :)

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really good question as it raises the issue of having to pay twice for shared apps, once for each account.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Johanna - thanks for your response, but some clarification for the OP may help, i.e. by setting up her own account on the iPad, she needs to realize that if the 'Erase all Content & Settings' option is used, she will not be able to DL previous app purchases under her husband's account while signed-in to her own; in the second option, apps will remain on the iPad but cannot be updated when needed if she is again signed-in to her own account. Now, I've not yet gone through this process (we have 2 iPads under the same account) - SO, what are the options for those having (or wanting to setup) two Apple IDs, for getting previous purchases on the device w/ the new account - thanks to those who respond - this is often a confusing situation. Dave :)
If you want to keep the apps,... on the device, and only intend to switch to another Apple ID, then my second advice is the one you should follow.

Go to App Store - Featured, (second possibility: Settings - iTunes & App Stores) tap the Apple ID there and sign out. Then tap "Create New Apple ID". (It's this way in iOS 7.0.4; iOS 6: tap "Sign in", then "Create New Apple ID"). Set up the new ID with country, payment method,...

It will work like switching between countries in App Store. The apps already purchased will stay on the device because of the previous Apple ID. They will be updated as usual, but will ask for the password of the old Apple ID. All you have to do then is enter that pw, and they will update, as usual.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts