What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring account to second iPad

AnnEmily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband is passing on to me his iPad Pro which has his own data on it.
I already have an iPad Air 2 with my own independent content.
Both our iPads' data is backed up on iCloud, each of us having our own accounts/Apple ID.

Would someone kindly explain the best way I can wipe all the husband's data off the iPad Pro so that I could transfer my own account/content onto it - in brief, I'd like to end up with my two ipads being a copy of one another.
Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My husband is passing on to me his iPad Pro which has his own data on it.
I already have an iPad Air 2 with my own independent content.
Both our iPads' data is backed up on iCloud, each of us having our own accounts/Apple ID.

Would someone kindly explain the best way I can wipe all the husband's data off the iPad Pro so that I could transfer my own account/content onto it - in brief, I'd like to end up with my two ipads being a copy of one another.
Thanks!
First make sure that Find My iPhone is turned off on the iPad you're receiving from your husband. Next, after backing up your current iPad to iTunes on your computer, connect the iPad Pro to your computer and restore it. This will erase the iPad and update the iOS version to the latest available. When the restore is completed you'll be offered the choice of setting it up as a new iPad or from the backup of your other iPad. Choose to set it up from the backup and the iPad Pro will end up as a clone of the old iPad, with everything duplicated.

You can also do this whole procedure through iCloud but it can be much faster when done through iTunes on your computer. Restoring from an iCloud backup can take several hours, depending on how large the backup is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To keep more information, like passwords and such, intact; make sure the backup from your old iPad is encrypted (a setting in iTunes and iCloud backup settings)

And since you are doing that, make darn certain you know the icloud password and any unlock or restriciton codes you've set up on the iPad first.

Note: This is even more important on the iPhone, since that is the only way to keep your Health Data intact.

OP
A

AnnEmily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To keep more information, like passwords and such, intact; make sure the backup from your old iPad is encrypted (a setting in iTunes and iCloud backup settings)

And since you are doing that, make darn certain you know the icloud password and any unlock or restriciton codes you've set up on the iPad first.

Note: This is even more important on the iPhone, since that is the only way to keep your Health Data intact.

OP
A

AnnEmily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A thousand thanks! I'm now the proud owner of two excellent ipads - one for home and one for work. Not everyone has such a generous husband... :}

Most reactions