What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to change Apple ID on ipad

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a friend who registered and set up his wife's iPad under his name and email address. Now, if someone wants to send her an iMessage they have to send it to his email ID in the contact list. Is there a simple way to change this? BTW he does not use or own any other Apple products.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Settings > Messages. You can set up what email addresses the app responds to. He will probably have to add his wife's email address before it will let him remove his own.

OP
markbnh1

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Go to Settings > Messages. You can set up what email addresses the app responds to. He will probably have to add his wife's email address before it will let him remove his own.

Great, I'll tell him how to do that. I never looked there. She would like the whole account in her name, but that's another story.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is easy enough to create a new Apple ID and use it. There are some things she should be aware of before doing so though.

She will no longer be able to share apps, books, and to some extent music and movies. Purchases are associated with the account, so she will need to pay for her own stuff. While it is possible to have two accounts in the same iPad, it's a pain when it comes to updating music, apps, books, whatever. I'd avoid it unless you have no other solution.

She will want to have her own iTunes to sync with on a computer (if she uses iTunes on the computer). This can be done either by having a second login on the same computer, or using different computers. Otherwise things become a big mess. It's even harder to keep multiple accounts straight in the same iTunes library on a computer than it is on the iPad.

She will need to go to each of the iStores (App Store, iTunes, iBooks) on the iPad and log out then back in. You can find the Apple ID at the bottom of most store pages. Tap on it to access the account login and other options.

If all she wants is separate backups, syncing, and content through iCloud, you can have separate iCloud accounts while keeping the same iTunes account.

Apple IDs and iCloud
Apple IDs and iCloud

Hope that helps.

Most reactions