What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How soon will you purchase the iPad?

How soon will you purchase the iPad?

• Pre-Order

Votes: 100 51.8%
  • Day 1

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Within the first month

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Within 3 Months

Votes: 26 13.5%
  • Wait for iPad v2

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • Never, Don't have a use for it

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Asked a salesrep at the AppleStore in San Francisco about pre orders and to his knowledge there wouldnt be any! You can however sign up on Apples site to be informed when they are starting to ship!! Odd!

Ill pre order it since apple is a big company. And people knowing a new apple system is coming out, it will be almost inpossible to buy it.

pughimag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't see the demand being as great

I don't think the iPad is going to create the same demand as the iPhone. The iPhone was truly a new idea. The iPad is a large iPod Touch. Perhaps for the first day or so there will be Apple enthusiasts who will line up to get the latest gizmo from Apple. I will go to the store a few days after launch to see how it performs/feels but this is one product that Apple makes that I will definitely wait for version 2. I think version 1 falls short (no memory slot, no camera, no multi-tasking, no Flash support).

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will pre-order. Will be looking for best deal. Do you think Apple will an education discount?

Maybe not initially, but I bet it's not long after the release :ipad-front:

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its going to be awesome. Can't believe I'm so excited. Feel like a little kid. I guess that's a good thing. Will buy the wifi version for now.

I believe I will keep it till Apple makes some real great big advancement with the iPad. The camera to me would not be a big deal.

pughimag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the rush?

I am as enthusiastic as the next person when it comes to Apple products, I like the quality, the appearance and the consistency of the interfaces. I see that over 100,000 people had pre-ordered the iPad during the first week that pre-ordering was available. This seems to be a small number, which makes sense.

I find it strange that anyone would buy any product without first trying it out at the store which might explain the small numbers. I also find it strange that people would not bide their time and opt for the Wi-Fi plus 3G version when you can purchase 3G service by the month for as little as $15. I forsee a number of eBay sales coming up as people change their minds. It's $130 more but seems like a no-brainer to include the 3G if you're going to spend $500 at a minimum anyway.

How well the iPad is going to work is an unknown (response, interworking, networking). Since the entry price for a WFi + 3G is $630 (plus case, Plus dock) I think I'll definitely wait until this group (and others) iron out all the bugs and Apple decides what to do about the feature set for version 2. I would certainly like to see a better battery life, a flash card slot and a camera at a minimum unless the price of your used iPad with all its patches on eBay gets down to $250 - $300. I'm still excited about the product but I need to feel how heavy it is and how well it performs before I commit more than $500. I'll take a trip to the Apple store on 4th April ( well maybe a week later than that) and give it a workout.

Good luck to everyone who buys version 1. I would be interested to hear an objective opinion after someone has theirs in hand.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am as enthusiastic as the next person when it comes to Apple products, I like the quality, the appearance and the consistency of the interfaces. I see that over 100,000 people had pre-ordered the iPad during the first week that pre-ordering was available. This seems to be a small number, which makes sense.

I find it strange that anyone would buy any product without first trying it out at the store which might explain the small numbers. I also find it strange that people would not bide their time and opt for the Wi-Fi plus 3G version when you can purchase 3G service by the month for as little as $15. I forsee a number of eBay sales coming up as people change their minds. It's $130 more but seems like a no-brainer to include the 3G if you're going to spend $500 at a minimum anyway.

How well the iPad is going to work is an unknown (response, interworking, networking). Since the entry price for a WFi + 3G is $630 (plus case, Plus dock) I think I'll definitely wait until this group (and others) iron out all the bugs and Apple decides what to do about the feature set for version 2. I would certainly like to see a better battery life, a flash card slot and a camera at a minimum unless the price of your used iPad with all its patches on eBay gets down to $250 - $300. I'm still excited about the product but I need to feel how heavy it is and how well it performs before I commit more than $500. I'll take a trip to the Apple store on 4th April ( well maybe a week later than that) and give it a workout.

Good luck to everyone who buys version 1. I would be interested to hear an objective opinion after someone has theirs in hand.

Actually the wall St journal said hundreds of thousands of preorders not a hundred thousand. It is expected to actually beat iPhone opening 3 month record. 1million units are expected to move the first year. We could end up with a Wii situation being back ordered till next year.

Traveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I leave for a European business trip on the 4th, and to ensure that I have it before I leave, I pre-ordered. I've already started using Xilisoft Video Converter to convert a bunch of movies and TV shows to H.264 in iPad format!

pughimag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ordered iPads

I believe the 100,000 number was after the first day so I'm sure you are nearer the mark with 100,000's. Of course with over 300 million people in the USA there's lot's of room for improvement.

I'm going down to the store to try one out just for kicks after the crowd dies down.

pughimag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried one out at the store - no deal!

I decided that it was time to see how iPad measures up to Nook and Kindle for eReading. First impression was - wow - this thing is heavy and small. The iBook app is initially impressive with the bright screen and nice fast page turns with a swipe of the finger. It seems to be very responsive and the other eye candy is good, well very good, as always with Apple products.

The nook is not responsive and with an e-ink screen as well as a color LCD screen it's not very intuitive in my opinion. I will not be buying a Nook. I did like the slot for a flash card in the Nook. I would like to see one in the iPad.

My decision? I will buy the Kindle 2 for now and wait for the iPad to mature. There are too many improvements that need to be made and since multitasking is due in the fall according to Jobs, perhaps my 2011 budget will include the iPod. In the meantime the Wi-Fi and 3G (maybe 4G) and camera can sort themselves out. 3G downloading is free on the Kindle after all. This way I get a light eReader with free 3G and lots of book choices for less than $260.

Most reactions

Latest posts