What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How safe is credit card info given to Apple?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, but every couple of years the banks replace your cards.....Then it's 20 direct debits at least to inform of the card number changes otherwise it's " we tried to take this months payment but were unable to process" !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Not in Cali they don't. Every year I get a new one but same account number and new expiration date.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Not in Cali they don't. Every year I get a new one but same account number and new expiration date.

Now why can't we have that here? You mean all your DDs and all your subscriptions automatically? Like I said in another thread I should have stayed in NYC :)

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm speaking from experience - my iTunes account was hacked a couple months ago. Two $40 gift certificates were purchased using my account and sent to a user with random letters as their user name. It was a HUGE hassle. I had used paypal as my payment and the iTunes support people weren't a lot of help. I had to file a claim with paypal. Paypal then sent an email to iTunes to ask them to credit the money back and iTunes never responded to the email. iTunes told me to email paypal and tell them that iTunes said it was okay go go forth with the dispute and of course, paypal wanted proof...I eventually got my money back but then my iTunes account was frozen for several weeks because it had been hacked. I tried changing the password, the questions, everything...and iTunes was slow to respond on the frozen account because at the time, many other people's accounts had been hacked as well.

It was not a fun experience! I think having paypal as my method of payment helped though - it was much easier to file a dispute with them than it would have been with a cc company. Basically, iTunes support was a PITA but oh well. In my opinion, they should have given me a couple free apps or something for my trouble...it wasn't like it was my fault my account was hacked. Obviously, the hacker knew what they were doing - my password was very difficult, it was basically a series of random letters and numbers.

So - your cc card and debit cards aren't really safe saved in any account, as any online account is prone to hackers. I would suggest you buy a gift certificate and use that as your payment method - at least that way, no money would be stolen from your checking account and you won't have to deal with the bank or cc company to get your money back. Paypal is another alternative, as it's very easy to file a dispute. It's also a good idea to have a complicated password but that doesn't always stop them.

Just my personal experience.

gisellexalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion, not all credit card thieves are technical enough to hack into retail store computer systems to steal data, albeit it may be probable. Once a thief has your data, you may not detect it until your billing accrues and it can cost much more than any form of credit such as edit by moderator - embedded URL or personal loans. If you notice suspicious activity on your account, contact your creditor immediately using the digits on the back of the card.

Last edited by a moderator:

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having been hit with $2,000 on my iTunes account year or so ago, I now use iTunes cards. The most you can loose that way is $20, $50 etc.

It still has me puzzled as how the perpetrators got their hands on the money but it was certainly real money that disappeared from my credit card. I got the money back after much form filling and stress and don't want to risk it again.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read about one way that they can get your credit card info by hijacking your internet transactions made on wifi or cell. And apparently it is legal because the FCC does not consider OTA transmission to be secure.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read about one way that they can get your credit card info by hijacking your internet transactions made on wifi or cell. And apparently it is legal because the FCC does not consider OTA transmission to be secure.

It'd still be illegal to use someone else's credit card without his permission.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, but if they get the information, they could possibly sell it without direct repercussions. It could be difficult to prove the crime. In most cases, the people stealing the information, do not directly use it.

While places like Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. get the publicity, they do more to protect customers than you are going to get from MacDonalds or Crab Shack transactions. Anytime you produce your credit card to a sales person, you are entrusting a stranger with your money. As long as there is a human equation involved, there is risk involved. The new smart chips are an improvement that will eventually make its way here, but what can be done in other countries does not always work in the US. Right now, my understanding is that coming up with a single standard is the problem.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, but if they get the information, they could possibly sell it without direct repercussions. It could be difficult to prove the crime. In most cases, the people stealing the information, do not directly use it.

While places like Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. get the publicity, they do more to protect customers than you are going to get from MacDonalds or Crab Shack transactions. Anytime you produce your credit card to a sales person, you are entrusting a stranger with your money. As long as there is a human equation involved, there is risk involved. The new smart chips are an improvement that will eventually make its way here, but what can be done in other countries does not always work in the US. Right now, my understanding is that coming up with a single standard is the problem.

Some U.S. cc companies are issuing cards with smart chips, usually for frequent traveler-type accounts. Most have been trying to cheap it out and avoid issuing cards with the chips. That sucks for travelers to places where chips are standard; it makes charging a pain.

Adding link to recent story:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/06/1...-card-problems-abroad-practical-traveler.html

Last edited:

zaccolbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the safety issues involved when an iTunes account is set up? Can the card number and the cvv number be stolen? Can false transactions take place? What if the device iPad or iPod or iPhone is stolen? Can the thief run up a large bill?

I think Apple are pretty reliable, no doubt they've got all their users' cc details but i wouldn't worry. I shop online on my iPhone and my iPad pretty regularly now, to stay safe I only use secure servers and steer clear of Wifi. I also use my edit by moderator - no links to external sites allowed rather than my normal cc, it comes with fraud protection but only has money on it that I've put there, so i don't owe the bank anything. I've never experienced issues with fraud and fingers crossed I won't in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts