What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Just Me, Or Does Anybody Find It WRONG...Credit Card..

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an iPad, never had anything apple before, well once I bought an iPod nano and found it you had to install iTunes to use it, so I returned 1 hour later..

What I found amazing is that while I created iTunes account I had to input a credit card? What if I was homeless, or had no good credit, or what if I don't feel comfortable given my credit. Card # over the internet, now with all the credit fraud goin on.

I think it's just so apple will make sure it will make it easier in case you ever get tempted to buy their songs, apps, etc..

Call me a troll or whatever, you fanboys will be sure to attack me, but I don't no any company that makes you enter a credit card to use their product, total nonsense..

So fanboys plz don't respond, I'm sure you can't wait to call me troll or attack me, but others who r not fanboys, do you find this a lil intrusive?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find your horrid English spelling and grammar intrusive, but the credit card, no I don't. You can register iTunes with an iTunes gift card if it bothers you that much. Or if even that bothers you, you can set it up, download a free app, and you can choose NONE for the credit card and not register one.

So if you were homeless, you would be rocking a 500 dollar or more device? If you had no good credit that's your own damn fault.

As for the part where you might not feel comfortable giving your credit card number, that is understandable. But no one forced you to buy the iPad. Three million people in 80 days don't seem to have a problem giving a credit card of some sort, so if Apple loses your business, honestly I doubt they would care. Especially if you don't want to give a credit card, then their profit from you diminishes because you won't be using their app store.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The last I looked, you do not have to list a credit card to download iTunes. iTunes is just like any other software that you might use, within specified parameters, it is free. If you want to buy something, it gives you options to do so. Nothing is forced. It amazes me about all the nonsense I have heard said about iTunes. You do not have to download music from Apple to play it on an iPod or iPad. I have over 2500 songs on my system, and probably less than 20 songs through iTune. I think I have bought more through Amazon. The only thing with the iPad that requires a credit card is if you get any apps. Even if you only download the free apps, it will go through the same process as the purchased apps. You will even get an invoice that says you have 'bought' such and such at $0.00. The best I can determine, there are a lot of accounting rules that can cause strange things to happen. For example, a couple years ago, Apple upgraded the software for the iPhone for free, but charged $10 for the same thing for iPod Touch models. A lot of people got ticked off, but what I recently found out, the reason was that accounting rules of the time, stated that they could give the software for free if the hardware was on a subscription plan, but was required to charge if not. Those rules have been revised, and now Apple can offer the upgrades for free, which is the case with the iOS 4 upgrade coming out.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not crazy about that being a requirement. Its a nice convenience though.

I think if you buy one in a store, you can have them activate it on a computer there for you with an iTunes card. There are ways around it if it bothers you.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
F- n fanboys, there u go again attack me cuz i say that it feels wrong to have to have a credit card..

It is wrong plain and simple, why no other company requires that u have a credit card, only iTunes..

It's nice to know that u don't need one tho, I bought mine at the apple store,8 wish they told me they can activate my iPad and work around having to enter credit card..

I wish i did some research first b4 entering a credit card..

I am a victim of credit fraud..

Sorry if I'm the only one that finds this wrong..

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having been the victim of cc fraud I share your disquiet.
Sadly a basic iPad without any apps is very limited. It's really a package of hardware and software of your choice. Having that choice requires differing software charges and Apple has chosen what it believes is the most convenient means to charge for it.

That said cc's are a current phenomenon of our society but I expect their days are numbered :)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been a victim as well, but that doesn't mean credit cards aren't a necessary part of today's society. They aren't going away any time soon.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
your missing the point, nevermind, now that i found out you really dont need a cc that makes me a lil less suspicious of apple..

but i wish the sales guy told me that i can activate my ipad without credit card, would be nice.. bought at the apple store btw.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do not need a credit card to run an iTunes account you can run it with iTunes vouchers which can be purchased for cash in a wide variety of outlets.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do not need a credit card to run an iTunes account you can run it with iTunes vouchers which can be purchased for cash in a wide variety of outlets.

Indeed - there is a wall of them by the register at Walmart.

Wetstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, had you been one of the 20% who read their statements monthly .. and you have up to 90days with some cards - to read the statement. You could simply 'reverse' any transaction. Other than a completely fraudulent card using your SSN, address, etc.. you are in control. (Even then...it's just a little more complicated.)

Chase bank calls me if they see (one time they did..) "me" trying to buy two plane tickets in NY for Brazil. I said; "It sounds like fun, but it's not me."

Steve Jobs is probably the last person I'd worry about tapping my Visa card...

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
As I said in another thread this subject was brought up (by the same person) I have had an iTunes/Apple account for nearly 4 years and never used a credit card. I use my debit card which is the same as writing a check. I find it amazing that someone does business online and don't use a credit or a debit card.

How were you expecting to buy apps for your iPad? Stuff cash into the headphone jack? As others have said, if you are that paranoid (or geographical restrictions) just use gift cards.....

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said in another thread this subject was brought up (by the same person) I have had an iTunes/Apple account for nearly 4 years and never used a credit card. I use my debit card which is the same as writing a check. I find it amazing that someone does business online and don't use a credit or a debit card.

How were you expecting to buy apps for your iPad? Stuff cash into the headphone jack? As others have said, if you are that paranoid (or geographical restrictions) just use gift cards.....
I lol'd

Most reactions

Latest posts