What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would gladly pay the $70 premium over the iPad for the added functionality of the Xoom.

xoom_bby_leak.jpg

Yup, $800. Can't say I'm sure what Motorola was thinking making it slightly more expensive than a comparable iPad, regardless if the specs are much better or not. I will pay the premium like I said, because I am that disappointed with my iPad and that enthusiastic about Honeycomb, but I don't know if everyone will.

Hopefully a Wi-Fi only version will come out for about $100 cheaper. If it still retains GPS and is out within a couple months, I'll get it. Other than that, I'm now anxiously awaiting info on the LG tablet, Galaxy Tab 2, and the Asus tablets.

Please enlighten us on this "added function" above the iPad...besides being the most cumbersome camera ever made?

WAIT, let me guess!!! FLASH!!

That seems to be all anyone cares about, even tho the apps available for android are the worst around...it will probably be a choppy and horrible experience and anything you can do in flash you can do with an app.

Please go get a Xoom so you can start visiting their forum and complaining about how much it sucks and you miss your iPad.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I would gladly pay the $70 premium over the iPad for the added functionality of the Xoom.

xoom_bby_leak.jpg

Yup, $800. Can't say I'm sure what Motorola was thinking making it slightly more expensive than a comparable iPad, regardless if the specs are much better or not. I will pay the premium like I said, because I am that disappointed with my iPad and that enthusiastic about Honeycomb, but I don't know if everyone will.

Hopefully a Wi-Fi only version will come out for about $100 cheaper. If it still retains GPS and is out within a couple months, I'll get it. Other than that, I'm now anxiously awaiting info on the LG tablet, Galaxy Tab 2, and the Asus tablets.

Please enlighten us on this "added function" above the iPad...besides being the most cumbersome camera ever made?

That seems to be all anyone cares about, even tho the apps available for android are the worst around...it will probably be a choppy and horrible experience and anything you can do in flash you can do with an app.

Please go get a Xoom so you can start visiting their forum and complaining about how much it sucks and you miss your iPad.

I just spit out my mt dew. xD

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

xoom_bby_leak.jpg

Let's see.

Front/Rear cameras
Better user interface
Customizable user interface
Widgets
True multitasking
Expandable memory
HDMI out
Flash
More RAM for more simultaneous apps
Dual core processor

It will be impossible for me to complain about missing my iPad, considering it's been sitting on my nightstand collecting dust for the last 4 months. I think I've used it twice in that time, and that was just to try out the updated Infinity Blade.

Choppy? Maybe your POS Droid is choppy, but that's what you get for buying a low-end phone. My Galaxy S with Android 2.2 is silky smooth on nearly everything. Of course heavy Flash content is choppy, but at least it works at all, unlike iOS devices.

You hate Android, and that's fine, I understand, but we've got one thread on this site for iPad owners discussing the new Honeycomb tablets, if you don't like it, go read one of the thousands of other threads on this forum. We've remained civil in this thread until people like you come in and stir up crap. Aren't you supposed to be a peacekeeper on this forum? Not stirring up crap?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

xoom_bby_leak.jpg

Let's see.

Front/Rear cameras
Better user interface
Customizable user interface
Widgets
True multitasking
Expandable memory
HDMI out
Flash
More RAM for more simultaneous apps
Dual core processor

It will be impossible for me to complain about missing my iPad, considering it's been sitting on my nightstand collecting dust for the last 4 months. I think I've used it twice in that time, and that was just to try out the updated Infinity Blade.

Choppy? Maybe your POS Droid is choppy, but that's what you get for buying a low-end phone. My Galaxy S with Android 2.2 is silky smooth on nearly everything. Of course heavy Flash content is choppy, but at least it works at all, unlike iOS devices.

You hate Android, and that's fine, I understand, but we've got one thread on this site for iPad owners discussing the new Honeycomb tablets, if you don't like it, go read one of the thousands of other threads on this forum. We've remained civil in this thread until people like you come in and stir up crap. Aren't you supposed to be a peacekeeper on this forum? Not stirring up crap?

Considering he is a mod...on this IPAD forum...I'd take that statement back m8.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I won't. His job is to moderate, not to come to a perfectly peaceful thread with iPad owners discussing the competition and possible alternatives and create drama.

This thread is perfectly acceptable on this forum. We are all iPad owners, and there is nothing wrong with discussing other options. You think people discussing Republican politics never discuss what the other guys are doing?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
-shakes head- Don't say I didn't warn ya m8.

Even people over at the xoom forum, as well as other android forums are up in arms about this new xoom finding. Things do not bode well m8. I'm not happy at all. I really REALLY don't feel like paying close to 900 dollars with tax for something like that. Its moto being greedy...And its not right.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I completely agree that the price is way too high for what it is, which is why I am holding off for a couple months to see what we get from LG, Samsung, HTC, and Asus. If none of those look as good as the Xoom, I will pay the price for the Xoom.

Sometimes you have to pay a premium for exactly what you want. So far the Xoom is the only tablet that has met every part of my list of wants that I created right after the iPad was announced. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to pay a premium for the Xoom, not everyone is, and I understand that many people are upset about that. My wife and I could have bought a Hyundai SUV for 2/3 of the price we paid for our Volvo, but the Volvo had features that the competition just didn't have, so it was worth the premium to us.

But to come in here and say that the Xoom doesn't have any notable improvements over the iPad other than Flash capability is simply to instigate the argument that is occurring right now. He knew exactly what he was doing and he knew the features of the Xoom way before he made that post.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I completely agree that the price is way too high for what it is, which is why I am holding off for a couple months to see what we get from LG, Samsung, HTC, and Asus. If none of those look as good as the Xoom, I will pay the price for the Xoom.

Sometimes you have to pay a premium for exactly what you want. So far the Xoom is the only tablet that has met every part of my list of wants that I created right after the iPad was announced. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to pay a premium for the Xoom, not everyone is, and I understand that many people are upset about that. My wife and I could have bought a Hyundai SUV for 2/3 of the price we paid for our Volvo, but the Volvo had features that the competition just didn't have, so it was worth the premium to us.

But to come in here and say that the Xoom doesn't have any notable improvements over the iPad other than Flash capability is simply to instigate the argument that is occurring right now. He knew exactly what he was doing and he knew the features of the Xoom way before he made that post.

wait until march when the supposed ipad event comes, and then we'll see.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure it will be significantly better, but if they don't address the locked down OS, it doesn't mean much to me or quite a few other people out there. Really, I would love the iPad if they just offered slightly more freedom.

Apple isn't allowing me freedom of choice with the user interface, so I will exercise my freedom of choice by buying another tablet. The fate of my iPad is still up in the air, my wife doesn't like it, so I'll probably sell it to someone, but not sure.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

For starters when I bought my POS droid it was top of the line and cost me as much as my 32GB iPhone I will be receiving via fedex tomorrow! So NO, I don't by low end ANYTHING! Flash barely works, sorry....the 2 times I tried using it it was so slow and pathetic there was no point in trying...it didn't even make it all the way thru the video I tried watching.

I hate android not because I am a fanboy...I hate android because it is a pathetic excuse for an iPhone clone....and I know this because I have been lugging around that piece of crap for a year now!! I was 100% all about android when I got it....but it sucks...and no amount of apple hate can derail that.

As for your peacekeeper sentiment....who told you that? You talk shit to a cop is he supposed to just take it and not have an opinion?? I'm not here to babysit I'm here to discuss something I enjoy much like the other users that don't just use this as a platform to bash what we have built this community for! All you have done for months now is badmouth everything apple and praise the glory of Android....please do us all a favor and go visit an android forum and leave us to our horrible dying iOS devices....we would appreciate it. You are not disruptive or offensive so I wouldn't ban you for a difference of opinion...but how about while you are posting that everything iOS sucks and everything android is god you remember you are on IPADFORUMS.NET!!! MEANING WE LIKE IT!!

as for your glorious iPad clone:

Front/Rear cameras: Couldn't care less

Better user interface: Total matter of opinion...I personally hate its jumbled mess of a UI and its slow everything

Customizable user interface: if you want more customization options jailbreak...you have to root for most advanced customizations in android anyway.

Widgets: great, something else to bog it down and make it run even worse

True multitasking: What does that even mean? Sure you can have things running in the background and draining your battery and making everything else run slowly....great...enjoy that.

Expandable memory: I have barely filled half of mine..and with things like Air Video, Zumocast, Splashtop Remote, Pandora, EyeTV, Hulu, Orb, etc what do I need more internal memory for??

HDMI out: It's a PORTABLE DEVICE!!! I have a PS3 and Mac Mini in the living room.

Flash: Don't care

More RAM for more simultaneous apps: iOS is built to work with what it has and it works damn good....what do you need more RAM for when it already works....oh yeah, to drain more battery...great.

Dual core processor: Half battery life! Woohoo!

Great you have proven your excellence! Please move along!

As for paying a premium for what you really want...I agree there..and next year when the Mac OSX Lion comes out and the MacPad is released...I will def be buying one.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you really believe a dual core processor reduces battery life by 50%, you are just showing your complete ignorance to how things work.

It's not a slow experience on the high end Android phones, it's slow on your Droid because it sucks. Speed and responsiveness with Android 2.2 and a fast processor is almost up to the level of the iPhone, and in some cases better (loading YouTube videos for example).

To customize the user interface you do not have to root the phone. Simple free apps from the market offer WAY more customization features than even jailbroken iOS devices offer.

You are so certain that it's going to be a slow and terrible experience, but i'll bet you have never even touched a Honeycomb tablet. have you? I have, a rooted Nook Color with a crappy 800mhz single core processor and only 256MB of RAM and it runs GREAT. That is even a crappy beta-level hacked port of Honeycomb, and it's smooth as silk. So it will run even better on a tablet with more processing power, more RAM, and a non-ported OS. You are basing your expectations on how these tablets will perform on your experience with an outdated Android phone running an outdated OS. Are you really hold so much blind hatred to Android that you can't even understand that with time comes progress and things have progressed far beyond what your Droid phone is capable of?

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you really believe a dual core processor reduces battery life by 50%, you are just showing your complete ignorance to how things work.

It's not a slow experience on the high end Android phones, it's slow on your Droid because it sucks. Speed and responsiveness with Android 2.2 and a fast processor is almost up to the level of the iPhone, and in some cases better (loading YouTube videos for example).

To customize the user interface you do not have to root the phone. Simple free apps from the market offer WAY more customization features than even jailbroken iOS devices offer.

You are so certain that it's going to be a slow and terrible experience, but i'll bet you have never even touched a Honeycomb tablet. have you? I have, a rooted Nook Color with a crappy 800mhz single core processor and only 256MB of RAM and it runs GREAT. That is even a crappy beta-level hacked port of Honeycomb, and it's smooth as silk. So it will run even better on a tablet with more processing power, more RAM, and a non-ported OS. You are basing your expectations on how these tablets will perform on your experience with an outdated Android phone running an outdated OS. Are you really hold so much blind hatred to Android that you can't even understand that with time comes progress and things have progressed far beyond what your Droid phone is capable of?

Dude, you've totally lost credibility with me because I own a Samsung Galaxy S. I'm running Android 2.2.1, and Flash runs like crap. I have it permanently turned off for that reason.

It's clear that you have one agenda only in terms of posting on this forum - bash Apple and praise Android. Every single one your posts goes to this agenda. Why are you even here?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You are like an awful troll and somehow you are also a moderator. Doesn't reflect well on this forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions