What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That looks really good. That is really the first video I've seen that would convince me. Wouldn't replace the iPad but can definitely see getting it to supplement the iPad. More for video and entertainment consumption. But looking really good. Hope they keep up the development. They've got something there.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know its not an android tablet, but the Blackberry Playbook is looking damn good as well. Watched the Engadget hands on where they played Quake and a 1080P video and a slideshow and some music all at the same time. If that is the kind of performance that these Android tablets will bring, i am REALLY interested in what Apple is cooking up for the iPad 2. If they want to maintain the lead they have, its going to be RIDICULOUS.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The great thing is they are all forcing each other to improve the tablet concept so the truly portable personal computer won't be far off now.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not after having my POS droid for the past year! I don't ever want anything android again. Even my google tv pisses me off quite often with it's slowdown and instability.

Lol. Your 1.5 year old phone? Also, what makes it a POS? You run 30 widgets and live wallpaper and then wonder why its slow with bad battery life?

Well for starters it's a little over a year old and when you are saddled to a 2 year contract it is total bs that a phone is obsolete in 6 months!!

I have never used live wallpaper and have 3 screens of apps. It is slow, choppy and crashes every few mins...regardless of how fresh the install is. The marketplace is a nightmare of useless apps, spyware and scams. The browser is slow choppy garbage. It has actually crashed on me while making a phone call!!! If I use the gps function while driving and plugged in it drains the battery to completely dead by the time I get to my destination (there's a great design!!)...most apps I install are completely broken within in a few updates since there is no oversight on the crap that can be installed.

Another horrible thing is, the vendors are in charge of software updates. So if you get lucky with a company like motorola they will forget you within a few months and release the same device with somewhat useable specs and total screw it's early adopters.

Hmmm, let's see, what else do I hate. Oh, in order for it to function properly I have to root and overclock, since they set the core speed to slow as snail crap, and the sleep clock too high...so you get a delightfully horrid mixture of 3 hour battery life and slow slow slowness. So that means every time they update I have to scour the steps to root again...and since a-hole motorola immediately refreshed this POS, the root community also couldn't give a crap....so since it requires oc to be useable and root is always months after updates I have to deal with it popping up that there is an update available every time I look at my phone!! Oh and as for battery life. If I actual use the thing it lasts a few hours...and that is with the extremely bulky extended battery added to it's already big as a VCR body!!

Seriously, everything that is android makes me appreciate iOS every day!! I can't wait for the verizon iPhone. I will gladly pay full retail for it and smash my droid to little bitty pieces!!

I found this as well when I had my Galaxy Tab and have been hearing others report the same thing.

Well, NONE of those things happen on my Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.2) and I'm not even rooted. It's quick, responsive (even with live wallpaper) and much better than iOS.

Bike with all due respect that is great for you....but that information does not help Fury out with his situation. :eek:

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to change my name to droidgirl, yeah ....no!

You know you don't have to be loyal to only one brand right?

In my house I've got a Windows 7 desktop, a Linux HTPC, MacBook Pro, WinXP netbook, iPad, Android phone, and coming soon an Android tablet.

Brand loyalty has no benefits whatsoever, all it does is limit your options to experience great products!

marlainwa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my Ipad but I know what you mean about using more than one type. My husband has new HP pc and I have a Mac and new Ipad. Also have old Compac Laptop I don't use anymore, I think it has a virus on it and will probably throw away after I disable it.

The thing I like about having both is software. Anything that is iffy on Mac I use my husbands computer like for print shop and making labels. I found it was easier on his.

But overall I prefer apple products and feel they are made better.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Took a look at the Xoom now that it has been announced and the reporters have gotten hold of it. Price point will be a huge thing for this device. If i can swing it, ill get it and let you all know what i think. but nothing will replace the Ipad. Android marketplace is shit right now, too unorganized, at least from what I have seen on my droid 2

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the Android Marketplace "shit." Sure it isn't as polished as the Apple AppStore, but it's easy enough to navigate around and there are a couple nice marketplace add-on apps that make automatic recommendations for you based on other apps you have installed.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I wouldn't call the Android Marketplace "shit." Sure it isn't as polished as the Apple AppStore, but it's easy enough to navigate around and there are a couple nice marketplace add-on apps that make automatic recommendations for you based on other apps you have installed.

What are these apps, sir?

Idk, im still not totally sold. but maybe once i play around with one whenever given chance I will enjoy it

Fotodirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
users.telenet.be
These video's are a computer animation. Probably made on a very powerful computer. So it is normal that it looks good. But what they are doing on those video's beats me. Why? What is the purpose? Looks complex and I don't see the value add yet.

What strikes me that all tablets shown at CES are shown with a fixed demo running on it or shown with a static screen. So they are not ready yet.

I would wait for a real live demo on a live machine before I would rush to the store to get one.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Being pessimistic is good when it comes to stuff like this. But there are videos showing some live use, but i think the main reason is because Android 3.0 isn't final yet.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmN8uKUgIg&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

best video ive seen for the device yet. Still not sold. As they have no showed anything for taking notes, or business. Nor have they shown any real flash videos or websites. Flash is shit on android phones right now. maybe it will get better...but bah!

Right now, my main purchase will be the ipad 2 still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts