What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, NONE of those things happen on my Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.2) and I'm not even rooted. It's quick, responsive (even with live wallpaper) and much better than iOS.

Sounds like you just need to get a cheap flip phone or something until the Verizon iPhone comes out.

Well im glad you happened on a perfect phone, but mine sucks and is not a good first impression of the Android OS. I played with the Galaxy Tab and it was really slow and choppy and that is one of my #1 needs on any portable. I can't have slow responsiveness....kills the whole thing for me.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, NONE of those things happen on my Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.2) and I'm not even rooted. It's quick, responsive (even with live wallpaper) and much better than iOS.

Sounds like you just need to get a cheap flip phone or something until the Verizon iPhone comes out.

You are lucky Samsung actually managed to release a 2.2 update for your phone (unless it already came with 2.2 installed). My wife's Fascinate still has 2.1 on it and there is no indication that an update is on the way.

I agree with gentlefury that one huge problem with Android is that each phone manufacturer has to roll out OS updates. Besides that I have been quite impressed with the Fascinate.

Spectrum2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will buy one with windows 7 once market becomes clear.
I will keep my iPad also until I buy iPad 2 too.
Once I buy iPad 2 I will gift old iPad to some needy people I know.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You are lucky Samsung actually managed to release a 2.2 update for your phone (unless it already came with 2.2 installed). My wife's Fascinate still has 2.1 on it and there is no indication that an update is on the way.

I agree with gentlefury that one huge problem with Android is that each phone manufacturer has to roll out OS updates. Besides that I have been quite impressed with the Fascinate.

That is why you should only by a pure android google no crappy ui that the manufactures made to go over the perfectly able stock android! I tell all my friends to stay away from motoblur, touch wiz or Htc sense (even this it's the best alt to stock) because of the lack of updates, but even with that

You can compare the fragmentation to apple cutting off cell phone after a certain period older iphones won't (not can't) Do the new features of a new os update, ie 2g/3g iphones. if apple never publicly severed the ties there would be a problem (framintaion). The problem with android it is does not do that and manufactures instead of updating just make a new phone the don't want to waste time updating an old phone as apple docent support the first iPhone anymore.

iPhone has 4 version out only 3 or publicly supported = easy. Android has too many phones to count and with a ton more on the way. Just like people don't mind updating the iPhone every year don't get mad cause your old android is just that old, just get a new shiny better one and stop bitchin. Or like many go to a striped down bare min os like iOS.

Don't get me wrong I love the iPad and my iPhone 4, but android experience is a so much better USER experience and not just about APPS. My nexus one and nexus S even my my touch g2 is just a much more pleasing OS to look at and feel like it's your own.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Galaxy S released in Japan had 2.2 on it. My carrier has actually even announced already that they plan on releasing the 2.3 update for it in March.

Also, things got smoother when I installed the Launcher Pro app. It wasn't a HUGE difference, but noticeably smoother.

Of course it's not perfect, it has its hiccups here and there. But I'll take the occasionally slow loading program or stutter over the locked down nature of iOS.

Last edited:

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was really considering an Galaxy Tab about 2 months ago but then I looked at some other Tablets with android as the OS, and they looked real cheap and choppy. The iPad is smooth and even though it has many things that should've been included (i.e. Camera, and flash support) I vouch for it and would recommend it to anybody who enjoys new technology and cool gadgets. :ipad-back:

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The android tablets announced today look absolutely AMAZING. Seriously Apple better step up their game with the iPad 2 or its not going to even be close.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asus announced three Android devices today!

Got this from AndroidCentral:
CES 2011 hasn't even officially started yet, but the Android tablet news has. This afternoon ASUS officially announced a series of Eee Tablets, including three pretty unique Android offerings. The Eee Pad MeMO is a 7 incher running on a 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm 8260 Snapdragon processor, sports a capacitive stylus (and bundled with apps that use it), with front and rear cameras -- expect it in June starting at $499. The Eee Pad Transformer has a 10.1-inch IPS display, houses a Tegra 2 chip, has dual cameras, and a unique docking station that incorporates a full qwerty keyboard -- expected in April starting at $399. And finally, the Eee Pad Slider has the same 10.1- inch IPS display, also runs on a Tegra 2 with dual cameras and HDMI out, and has a sliding qwerty keyboard attached -- it arrives in May and starts at $499. All three of the new Eee tablets will be running Honeycomb, which ASUS has dubbed as Android 3.0.
This is just the tip of the iceberg folks. We're on the floor at CES; expect to be inundated with Android goodness as CES rolls onwards. The full press release from ASUS (with device specs) is after the break.
The IPS display is the same style the iPad uses, which is awesome! The one that offers a slideout keyboard seems pretty cool, but not sure how much people would actually use it. The pricing looks pretty good on these though, can't wait to see what else gets announced!

Pics and video here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/04/asus-tablets-photos_n_804462.html

Last edited:

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would consider an Android when and if it reaches it's potential. This isn't about loyalty for me but having a product that will compromise in some areas if it's what the majority of it's users want/need. From what I've seen, Apple does not compromise at all and a user must go with what he/she is given for the most part except for the hacks, etc.

If Google comes out with what I have been told they will mid year or so, I would give a serious look at any number of tabs coming up by several names. However, I will say that I have found this "Apple experience" much more interesting than I remember from back in the original Mac days (1980s) when I had an original Macintosh doing graphic drawings and engineering reports (hot stuff then!).

I for one will be watching both ends......from the middle!

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So by "what the majority of it's users want/need" you mean things like web browsing, watching videos, and sending e-mails right?

Well, websites load significantly faster on Android, videos from Youtube load faster, and the e-mail client is more functional. All of these things have been proven time and time again, and Android is only getting better, Apple seems to be adding half-assed "features" that most people won't use (AirPlay, wireless printing that only works with specific printers, fake multitasking, etc).

iOS is overall smoother than Android, but the OS itself is much less functional.

Oh, and Android will never reach it's potential and stop. iOS reached it's potential in it's first version on the original iPhone and has went basically nowhere since then, Android is always evolving, not just saying "meh, it's good enough" like Apple has done with iOS.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So by "what the majority of it's users want/need" you mean things like web browsing, watching videos, and sending e-mails right?

Well, websites load significantly faster on Android, videos from Youtube load faster, and the e-mail client is more functional. All of these things have been proven time and time again, and Android is only getting better, Apple seems to be adding half-assed "features" that most people won't use (AirPlay, wireless printing that only works with specific printers, fake multitasking, etc).

iOS is overall smoother than Android, but the OS itself is much less functional.

Oh, and Android will never reach it's potential and stop. iOS reached it's potential in it's first version on the original iPhone and has went basically nowhere since then, Android is always evolving, not just saying "meh, it's good enough" like Apple has done with iOS.

I think he meant that Apple is more rigid and if they want a thing a certain way they don't care if 99% of their users want it differently, its going to be Apple's way. I think he meant that Google seems to be more flexible to user demands.

I completely agree that iOS as an OS is almost a joke. Relying on apps for every function is stupid and is the TRUE fragmentation issue in the mobile world. Different apps have different keyboards. No universal search/voice search/Voice texting/voice emailing/voice navigation/etc. No ability for ANY user customization. I mean it is laughable in comparison. iOS has better and more apps, which is the reason its the most popular at this point, but as Android flies past it this year in popularity that will change and iOS will have to innovate at the OS level to compete.

tlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both iPad and just got a SGT for Xmas. I still prefer the ipad for browsing the web, soooo much smoother and responsive. But the SGT is Great for out and about due to size and functionality being able to make calls and txt msgs is a bonus too. I think I can't really compare them they are such different devices and each have their own good points. I'm not up much with the technical jargon but the iPad wins over the tab when it comes to screen and movies etc just by a whisker. I'll pop back when I've had a proper play with the tab. My OH also got a tablet the optus my tab and for the price it is pretty good and will do him just fine for what he wants.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not up much with the technical jargon but the iPad wins over the tab when it comes to screen and movies etc just by a whisker.

I think you mixed up there. The SGT plays mkv and avi files natively and in HD, while the ipad needs everything converted to m4v or whatever like we are in the 90's all over again. Also the SGT has a higher pixel density and a widescreen resolution, all much better for video playback. The ipad wins on zero fronts related to video. Web browsing on the other hand the iPad will be much better at due to the 4:3 screen ratio.

That said, if you can, I would recommend returning the SGT and waiting a couple months. There are some RIDICULOUS tablets being announced that launch in March/April with Honeycomb. You will be lucky to get Gingerbread on the SGT by that time.

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Alright, heres my 2 cents...

I LOVE my Ipad, wouldn't trade it for the world. However, I am intrigued by the recent announcements of android tablets, and the upcoming ones at CES.

I will buy an Ipad 2, and an android tablet once they are up to snuff. I hold no ill will toward either platform, as my ipad is already my business device, my android could be my gaming device, or maybe vice versa? Idk. I just know that I am excited about all these things coming in this world of technology and its going to be great.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm not up much with the technical jargon but the iPad wins over the tab when it comes to screen and movies etc just by a whisker.

I think you mixed up there. The SGT plays mkv and avi files natively and in HD, while the ipad needs everything converted to m4v or whatever like we are in the 90's all over again. Also the SGT has a higher pixel density and a widescreen resolution, all much better for video playback. The ipad wins on zero fronts related to video. Web browsing on the other hand the iPad will be much better at due to the 4:3 screen ratio.

Great, glad to see you can tell them that their OPINION on two devices they own are incorrect. As much as you slam the iPad, why exactly do you come on here? Reading your posts over the past several days, most every one seems to be an attack on the iPad. There are plenty of Android forums to play on. Perhaps your time would be better spent there.

Actually, I just went back and looked at all of your posts here. EASILY 3/4 of them are slamming the iPad and Apple. Which again begs my question above. If they are so terrible, why are you here? To educate us, the poor little Apple sheep?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions