What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many are jumping ship? I am Weary of the hunt for ipad2 going to Xoom Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you comparing Xoom to Ipad2 ??
Let me count the ways:
Simplicity of the Apple products
Ease of operation
300,000 apps
iOS and closed source process that makes it impossible to attract virus
Style and durability
Brand recognition in terms of attracting future applications for work or play.
We are not even talking about the same caliber of tablets.
Wait for the IPad and forget about Xoom Xoom..

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Possibly. The OP's still buying a Xoom though. After taking a Xoom for a spin at Verizon (while waiting for them to get our account straightened out) I can't imagine anyone opting for one in lieu of the original iPad, let alone an iPad2, but each to their own!

BTW, Let's pray for sun! ;)

I'm not praying for sun. I KNOW it's coming, starting tomorrow morning for the rest of the week (hopefully for much longer) with increasingly warm temps, after weeks of being buried under several feet of snow, power outages for days and freezing temps. Spring sure got off to a crappy start.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mountaingamer said:
I think the original poster is trolling - a mod should close this post imo.

Big deal. 2 posts by the guy and he's gone. I don't see the thread going downhill into a pile of rubbish, do you guys? There's some good conversation taking place. No reason to shut the thread down just because the OP has disappeared or rarely contributes. The whole idea of these forums is to promote discussion, communications and exchange of ideas and opinions. So far this thread is doing just that.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipadmannyc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the xoom at work and it's pretty horrible. It's actually a chore to use the xoom, and the ipad seems like your trusted friend. The xooom is very limited supply of apps, weighs a ton compared to ipad2 and is not user friendly at all. yes the camera is awesome and you can play flash but there's a browser on the app store that can play flash if you really really need it. I thought not being able to play flash would be worse than it is turning out. It's not that bad at all.

Mike4AU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, consider doing what I did to get an iPad 2. On 3/22, I signed up to get an email alert from B&H Photo when they had the one I wanted in stock. At 7 a.m., on Friday, 3/25 I received an "alert" email from BH. I called them the minute they opened for business. Item was still in stock and I bought it. About 3 hours later I received an email notifying me that it had shipped. Tracking shows that it will be delivered on 3/30 by UPS ground.

How easy is that? No long lines, no anguish and I saved $73 because I did not have to pay 10% sales tax(if bought locally). And if you do not already know, BH is a first class company. I have bought a bunch of stuff from them.

Good luck...kick back...and let the internet and email alerts "stand in line" for you.

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not praying for sun. I KNOW it's coming, starting tomorrow morning for the rest of the week (hopefully for much longer) with increasingly warm temps, after weeks of being buried under several feet of snow, power outages for days and freezing temps. Spring sure got off to a crappy start.

In that case, I'll have your spam! I love spam! :D

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the xoom at work and it's pretty horrible. It's actually a chore to use the xoom, and the ipad seems like your trusted friend. The xooom is very limited supply of apps, weighs a ton compared to ipad2 and is not user friendly at all. yes the camera is awesome and you can play flash but there's a browser on the app store that can play flash if you really really need it. I thought not being able to play flash would be worse than it is turning out. It's not that bad at all.
I thought not having Flash would be an issue as well...but agreed, it's not a big deal. Although still prevalent, Flash is antiquated and dying. Most web developers are turning to other (better) formats now.

I bought a new Macbook Air last autumn (Flash is not installed from the factory). The iPad taught me that I could live without Flash so I've never installed it. Like the iPad, battery life is awesome and life is still good. :)

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash is so overrated to me. Once you get apps runnings and web browsing going. You won't miss it.

KneeDragr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My big problem with the Xoom as with all Honeycomb tablets at this point is the user interface is just too bloated to run quickly on the hardware. The iPad 2 just blazes everything it does, even with multiple apps up. Honeycomb Android is like X-Windows, you can do lots of stuff with it, but only a beast can run it fast.

I like the widget design and how Android is so customizable, but there are just too many layers of abstraction between the fast Tegra 2 ( which is no match for the PowerVR chip in our iPads BTW ), and the UI.

Ive been programming realtime 3D graphics for 15 years professionally, worked on videogames on all the 3D consoles ( although no mobile experience ) and I know how to make things run very fast. If somebody had me working on that team Honeycomb would have screamed on the Xoom, 60fps at all times, but would have been a lot harder to program widgets for because of the depth of knowledge that would be required to get things up on the screen.

Still thats the direction I would have gone is I was the T Director there.

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use to own xoom for one week and return it back to Verizon, peace of junk in compare to my new ipad2 I got after in any respect..

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"How can they release internationally and not fufill orders here in the U.S.?"

Because the US is the end all and be all right?
Right!

Applebaum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, the U.S. is not the end all be all. But it's a crappy marketing strategy if you ask me. Ppl are shopping else where to boot. Yeah they have a great product but what good is it if you can't purchase it for months.

Reaction score
Applebaum said:
No, the U.S. is not the end all be all. But it's a crappy marketing strategy if you ask me. Ppl are shopping else where to boot. Yeah they have a great product but what good is it if you can't purchase it for months.

There are already millions of iPad 2 owners.

Also, I can see your point, that a product is no good, if you have to wait month. But from Apple's point of view it means that they sell every single iPad for month to come, certainly nothing negative.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then they should have done a global release. The iPads I other countries were destined for them way before the "US" release. I stood in line 14 hours just like the people in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions