What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long will my battery last?

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had this ipad 2 since it first came out.I only get about 5 hrs.a day viewing FB and playing a game or two.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had this ipad 2 since it first came out.I only get about 5 hrs.a day viewing FB and playing a game or two.
Your iPad battery is over 3 years old and 5 hours use after 5 years is not out of line for an iPad that's used every day. All batteries decline in capacity over time as repeated charging slowly diminishes the batteries ability to hold a charge.

OP

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do you sugest? Can the batery be replaced? Is it a DIY or will I need Apple to replace it. Cost

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What do you sugest? Can the batery be replaced? Is it a DIY or will I need Apple to replace it. Cost

Ya know, all of this can be googled easily - just saying, but I'll add a few words for consideration. Now, I just replaced an aging iPad 2 (owned since spring of 2011) w/ an iPad Air 2, but I must say that the battery was still in good condition. A lithium-ion battery can be taken through a number of charge recycles (defined by a near complete discharge whether @ once or over a period of partial re-charges) and then will start failing, i.e. not holding as much energy - the number of charge recycles before this deterioration occurs is likely in the hundreds (on my MBPro laptop, 1000 is the number, so let's say 500 to 1000 for the iPad 2). SO, depending on how you have used your iPad over the last 3+ years and how often you've recharged the device will impact on the battery's health.

Now, Apple usually recommends that you let the battery charge down nearly completely (say < 10% charge) about once a month to re-calibrate the battery monitoring software, so if not already done in the past, give that a try and re-test your battery's usage time. Also, there are a number of settings that you can adjust on the iPad to extend the battery's life; again, some 'googling' would help, one link HERE.

As to 'battery replacement', quoted below is from HERE as to what Apple will charge you; as an alternate if you are a DIY, visit the iFixit Website and review the guide for replacing the battery on the iPad 2 - it's likely a difficult task? Finally, as I did recently and if your budget is good, a replacement w/ a newer model iPad is a consideration. Good luck - Dave :)

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $99, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While some people have successfully replaced their iPad battery, it's not a recommended procedure as there is too much room for costly mistakes. Apple has a battery replacement program that costs $109.00 plus shipping in Canada. For pricing in other countries you can go to this Apple page and enter your own country. http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=canada&product=ipad

OP

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Battery was at 100% this morning. Wife used it fore about 15 min. Left it for about 2 hrs. then went back to FB and the Battery was at 65%. So I made all of the changes you guys suggested and I will see how long the charge lasts.

Most reactions

Latest posts