What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how fast is your wifi ipad speeds?

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if it's my wireless access point what do you suggest I change?
No clue what the best one would be for all your current and future Wi-Fi needs. I personally have always liked Linksys products (now Cisco), other than their power supplies going bad no one I know that uses them had had any problems. I personally use a WR54G, and so does my sister whom just got a 3G iPad and she also has no issues. Have you checked if your running the BIOS on your Netgear? You might want to start a topic on routers/AP's folks use whom are not having Wi-Fi iPad issues if your really want to replace your Netgear router.

I don't have another WiFi spot with me, but generally anywhere I go it seems sluggish. But I didn't download the speedtest app until yesterday so I'll have to reserve judgment until I test it out.
I would try to use a friends or like I said even go to McDonalds, as most of them have free Wi-Fi now. If all else fails AT&T and Apple stores have free Wi-Fi for testing. If all else fails just make that appointment I suggested with an Apple Geninus, they should be ably to test your iPad's Wi-Fi. I also found this other thread today that might be of some help http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/5127-wifi-connection-slow-unpredictable.html

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
photo.jpg

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if it's my wireless access point what do you suggest I change?
No clue what the best one would be for all your current and future Wi-Fi needs. I personally have always liked Linksys products (now Cisco), other than their power supplies going bad no one I know that uses them had had any problems. I personally use a WR54G, and so does my sister whom just got a 3G iPad and she also has no issues. Have you checked if your running the BIOS on your Netgear? You might want to start a topic on routers/AP's folks use whom are not having Wi-Fi iPad issues if your really want to replace your Netgear router.

I don't have another WiFi spot with me, but generally anywhere I go it seems sluggish. But I didn't download the speedtest app until yesterday so I'll have to reserve judgment until I test it out.
I would try to use a friends or like I said even go to McDonalds, as most of them have free Wi-Fi now. If all else fails AT&T and Apple stores have free Wi-Fi for testing. If all else fails just make that appointment I suggested with an Apple Geninus, they should be ably to test your iPad's Wi-Fi. I also found this other thread today that might be of some help http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/5127-wifi-connection-slow-unpredictable.html
It's not the router. The router is brand new dual band router. I used to have a WRT54G but upgraded to this router.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting 10.5 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload. Although I wouldn't mind a little more speed, I have to give some credit to my ISP, my connection is VERY stable and consistent.

W24TSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im getting 8.61Mbps Download and 0.66Mbps Upload.
Thats bad for my connection though, im on a 50Mb cable connection so it should be better. Its 22:33 on a Saturday night though so most of the world will be online!

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was getting horrible download speeds with my Linksys WRT600N and it wasn't until a freak static discharge a few days ago from a rogue lightening strike fried it that I had to replace it with a Cisco/Linksys E3000 and I've been getting desktop speeds on both G and N frequencies.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dramatically increased my surfing speed by using OpenDNS.com

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I get almost 10Mbps down, but only about 256k up, but probably because I host a bunch of PDF torrents with old government microfiches.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Numb is your surfing faster with opendns? Or did you not try it yet?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With Comcast at home, I get between 8-9Mb down and 2 up...using an old Microsoft wireless router.

At the Doubletree Hotel in Portland last weekend, I was getting less than 1Mb down.

Balibe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my access point to a Linksys E3000. It has two freqs/antennas in it. I only have my laptop & iPad on one freq/antenna set at 5Ghz & N only. All my other wireless devices in the house are on the other freq/antenna set at 2.4Ghz & B/G only. I am using the laptop or the iPad, so I have no other devices using the 5Ghz but me. With Comcast I am getting the following ....

iPad [regular Speed Test App]: 14.0-15.0/2.0Mbps

Dell Studio 17 Laptop [IE8 @ speedtest.net] 20.0/2.0Mbps

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1.43 down and 1.40 up, the exact same as my desktop.
Yea, you read it right. We're way out in the boonies and have 1.5 mbps wireless. It sure beats the 7.2 kilobyte dial up we had for yrs though. I'm happy with it and it feels as fast to me as my brother's Cox.
Edit: And I do use OpenDNS but there's no difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts