What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how fast is your 3g

dwagner88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd love to answer this post but upon first booting my 3G iPad today, I discovered that the only coverage in my home is 2 bars of putrid edge. This is the first at&t device i have owned and according to at&t's map, i should have 3g. I'm not gonna sign up for the 3G until I do some traveling later in the month.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is about 100K down and 50K up. But I live the MFN (middle of freakin nowhere) and I want the 3G as a backup when I'm not on wifi.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a new speedtest app just for iPad released yesterday or today. Freebie, too.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On Friday I was MFN (Middle of Freaking Nowhere (love that one DavidNM :)) and I was just getting Edge speed (and thankful for that :). I tried the Speedtest X HD app, but it was working too slowly, so I gave up.

Yesterday I was out on a bike path and I was getting 3G. I ran Speedtest again and got 2.13MB, which is faster then I get a home on my cable modem!

rtking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Orange County, Californai, here are my speeds using Time Warner cable modem in an Airport Extreme Base Station wireless network:

Connection Type: Download: Upload:
WiFi 5801 Kbps. 983 Kbps
AT&T 3G (5 bars). 733 Kbps. 25 Kbps
EDGE (Tmobile MyWi). 79 Kbps. 95 Kbps

Odd that the EDGE connection has faster upload speed than the 3G connection. Either way, I would need to be REALLY in need of an Internet connection and outside an area AT&t serves if I decided to use my MyWi connection on my unlocked/jail broken iPhone.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Orange County, Californai, here are my speeds using Time Warner cable modem in an Airport Extreme Base Station wireless network:

Connection Type: Download: Upload:
WiFi 5801 Kbps. 983 Kbps
AT&T 3G (5 bars). 733 Kbps. 25 Kbps
EDGE (Tmobile MyWi). 79 Kbps. 95 Kbps

Odd that the EDGE connection has faster upload speed than the 3G connection. Either way, I would need to be REALLY in need of an Internet connection and outside an area AT&t serves if I decided to use my MyWi connection on my unlocked/jail broken iPhone.

Great info! Is tmobile mywi running 3G?

rtking

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Unfortunately Tmobile has chosen a different radio band for their 3G service, so best the iPhone can do is EDGE.

MyWi is a hack that you can load via Cydia to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hot spot. You'll need to jailbreak your iPhone to install and use it.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Unfortunately Tmobile has chosen a different radio band for their 3G service, so best the iPhone can do is EDGE.

MyWi is a hack that you can load via Cydia to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hot spot. You'll need to jailbreak your iPhone to install and use it.

Oh ok, my wife has a company BB Bold with Tmobile and it gets 3G service so I wasn't sure if your iPhone did or not. Thanks for the info.

SugarMouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G iPad:

AT&T 3G 609kbps down 52kbps up
WiFi 16547 kbps down 6701kbps up

Nexus One Tether (T-Mobile)
846kbps down 754kbps up

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I guess I made the right choice since I seem to be getting twice the bandwidth speed tethering my droid.

Most reactions