What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you email a song from iTunes?

Reaction score
You can only copy the song, if you use an email program, such as Outlook, most webmail services will not allow you to drag'n'drop. So you would have to manually add an attachment to the email and select the song by browsing to it's path.

If you want to find out, where a specific song is located, use the above described method of using iTunes to open the song in Windows Explorer.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what I do:

In iTunes, drag song onto your desktop, and it'll make a copy of the song file on there. Then open up gmail or outlook and attach the file as an attachment.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can only copy the song, if you use an email program, such as Outlook, most webmail services will not allow you to drag'n'drop. So you would have to manually add an attachment to the email and select the song by browsing to it's path.

If you want to find out, where a specific song is located, use the above described method of using iTunes to open the song in Windows Explorer.

I think this is what I ultimately did a few days ago. Right clicked on the song ~ opened in Windows, I think it states, then I right clicked it to send to Documents then I attach it from my gmail.

If I don't send it to Documents ~ I can't find it!:eek:

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what I do:

In iTunes, drag song onto your desktop, and it'll make a copy of the song file on there. Then open up gmail or outlook and attach the file as an attachment.

Okay ~ I'm on it.

brb

How easy is that I ask you!! Thanks, Glen. Keep it simple for us blondes in Cali:)

Reaction score
SP, are you using Outlook? Because then you could drag songs directly from iTunes into the email you are currently composing.

And if you use the Gmail webmail, you might want to use Chrome, as it also let's you drag'n'drop songs directly from iTunes into the email. It doesn't get simpler then that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How easy is this, directly from iTunes into gmail:

Attachments

• image-897523908.png
    image-897523908.png
    285 KB · Views: 315

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
How easy is this, directly from iTunes into gmail:

Nice! I use chrome on my mac instead of safari, so this is very handy!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SP, are you using Outlook? Because then you could drag songs directly from iTunes into the email you are currently composing.

And if you use the Gmail webmail, you might want to use Chrome, as it also let's you drag'n'drop songs directly from iTunes into the email. It doesn't get simpler then that.

I don't use Outlook. And I have Chrome....

Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
So ~ how do I do that? I should make certain I do have Chrome.

Open both iTunes and Chrome.
In chrome, open gmail and start composing an email
Switch to iTunes, pick a song, select it, then simply drag it into the chrome window, and release inside the green rectangle, where it says Drop here.
The song will be uploaded and automatically added as an attachment.

Not sure, if I understand your question, though. Drag'n'drop is pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
It didn't work.:( Am I missing something? It copied and pasted it, but just the title not an actual link to the song....

Sorry about that! I do this a lot. Assuming that everyone uses Outlook is not smart. I use it both at work and at home and forget sometimes that there are many different e-mail clients. It really does work this easily when you use Outlook. Sorry to stear you in the wrong direction. I should have asked what e-mail client you were using to begin with. My bad...

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It didn't work.:( Am I missing something? It copied and pasted it, but just the title not an actual link to the song....

Sorry about that! I do this a lot. Assuming that everyone uses Outlook is not smart. I use it both at work and at home and forget sometimes that there are many different e-mail clients. It really does work this easily when you use Outlook. Sorry to stear you in the wrong direction. I should have asked what e-mail client you were using to begin with. My bad...

I forgive you.;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cool. I didn't know iTunes would make a copy of music just by dragging it out of the list, but it does. A real copy too, not just an alias.

I was not able to duplicate dragging the attachment directly into GMail via Crome, but I'm on a Mac, so that might be it. Nor could I use my usual email program that way. However, dragging it to the desktop made a copy there, and that copy was easy to add as an email attachment by all the usual methods, including drag and drop.

I emailed it to myself to make sure it really attached the file. I ended up with a playable file on the received email.

It's more steps than I like, and you need to clean up your desktop (or you could use a folder) afterwords, but it is doable.

Thanks Dont, you've been on a major roll lately.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

I forgive you.;)

Appreciate that!

Most reactions

Latest posts