What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Songs from iPad

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand now to remove songs from my iPad, yet there are some songs on my iPad that are on there that I KNOW I didn't put on there.
It seems they have come from Apple or from some cloud source.

When I got into iTunes, they don't even show up, yet on my iPad they show up and I can't swipe the song from right to left to get to the delete key.

Any ideas on how to remove these dreadful songs and dreadful artists?

Thanks!

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I understand now to remove songs from my iPad, yet there are some songs on my iPad that are on there that I KNOW I didn't put on there. It seems they have come from Apple or from some cloud source. When I got into iTunes, they don't even show up, yet on my iPad they show up and I can't swipe the song from right to left to get to the delete key. Any ideas on how to remove these dreadful songs and dreadful artists? Thanks!

Is there an 'edit' option on the top left or top right part of the screen? If yes try tapping that and then you should be able to delete...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like, somehow, you've ended up purchasing those songs. Maybe they were free and you downloaded them on a whim, or if you share your device or account maybe someone did it for you.

Music's default setting is for all songs that you've purchased from iTunes to show up. The ones that are not stored locally on the iPad will have a cloud next to them, so you can download and listen to them.

If you want them to go away you can go to Settings > Music and turn off Show All Music. Once you do,only music that is stored locally on the iPad will be shown. You'll still be able to see and download your purchased music by going to the iTunes Store and checking under the Purchased tab.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no edit button at the top right or left of the screen. No way to remove them.

I tried the other suggestion about going into my settings and turning off the "show all music" or whatever was recommended and they
STILL SHOW UP!! To the far right of the song is a sideways X symbol more or less and I've seen the "cloud symbol" before but it is no
longer visible. Just want to get rid of about five various songs.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that. Could you post a screenshot?

In case you don't know:

You create a screenshot by pressing the home and power button at the same time. The pictures shows up in your camera roll in the Photos app. You can then edit out anything you don't want to show using the Skitch app (free). That would include the titles of the dreadful songs, if they are that dreadfully :)

To post a picture using the iPF app, choose the Advanced button at the top right when composing or editing your post.

I have no idea how to help you at this point, but I'm hoping that I'll see a clue in the screenshot.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the screen shot

Hope you can figure it out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 259

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The X like icon is the shuffle icon. It appears next to albums and playlists so that you can start playing the songs in a random order.

Which, unfortunately, offers no clues as to why the song won't delete. I remain stumped. Sorry.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another experiment.

You said the song does not show up in iTunes. Is that on the computer or on the iPad. If the computer, go to the Purchased tab in your iTunes Store (on the iPad) and see if you can find the song there; and whether it shows downloaded or whatever.

And another thought.

Has anyone else ever used your iPad to download music, say with their own account? Maybe a previous owner? I have no idea how a song added from a second account would act when you try to delete it, but it's possible it would just refuse to be deleted until the iPad is re-associated with that account.

It's sounding more and more like the only solution is going to be to restore the iPad. Since the songs are not in iTunes, there is a good chance you could restore from a backup and the song would not be restored; but if it is, a clean restore might be needed.

It all depends on whether you hate the songs badly enough to go to that much trouble.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with songs not going away and unable to be deleted, and I finally had to bite the bullet, go into Settings-General-Usage-Music-Edit-Delete, and then start over downloading only the songs I wanted. I believe what happened in my case is that I accidentally played the songs in question, rather than deleting them (my swiping must have failed). I don't have a massive music library (around 300 songs), so it wasn't a huge deal to start fresh. Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Last edited:
OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have to go look on the iTunes folder on my computer, that is where I control everything.

This is/was a brand new iPad and I'm the original owner so no one else has had access to it, nor does anyone share my home computer.

I've got way too many songs on the iPad to delete and start all over.

:(

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hear you. That's a drastic solution and I hope it wouldn't come to that.

Most reactions

Latest posts