What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do you download paid applications on cydia?

muffinzkoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do you download paid apps in cydia? please help me, im new at jailbreaking.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are wanting to know how to download paid apps for free, we cant tell you, it is against the forum rules. But if not, in the top corner of the app page that you want to download it says purchase. Tap that and sign in with google or facebook. Then use paypal or amazon to pay.

Last edited:

Schmitty2364

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol ipad hacking forums cant even talk about the real hacking :/ fail but not with out reason

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are wanting to know how to download paid apps for free, we cant tell you, it is against the forum rules. But if not, in the top corner of the app page that you want to download it says purchase. Tap that and sign in with google or facebook. Then use paypal or amazon to pay.

Now just a golly darn minute hold just a sec.... Let me ask, if the rough treatment by those participating in this thread has not frightened you away and I am just e-whistling in the e-wind and you are still following it, that is..

Grammar Police, arrest me.

Two queries:

1- Do you want to know how to DL paid apps for free, because you are a thief? (Not saying you are, just asking) Or . . .,

2- Do you want to know the procedure for paying for and downloading paid apps?

Big difference.

I wondered the same thing. How do you pay for and DL paid apps? Well, here you go:

1- Find the app you want and follow the link. You will be taken to a page where you must authenticate yourself. Google or whatever is given.

2- Select your payment choice. Typically, PayPal or Amazon. Just follow the directions given after you arrive at the PayPal (for example) page, enter your account/log-in info, CC info, what have you. I am sure each seller has a different way of getting the app to you. Perhaps a link or by e-mail.

Done!

The rush to judgment exhibited by those that responded to your post is rather good in my view. I am so very tired of the stealing on the web and I will simply assume that people that ask the question want free stuff that usually requires payment.

As you might gather, mentioning jailbreaking and asking how to get free apps from the app store in the same sentence generates anger. Suppose I asked you how do I find your address, what hours are you away from home and where is the spare key? You can bet most that ask those silly questions do not want to come in and scrub your toilets; they want your stuff. Bad analogy, I am sure.

So, the next time, perhaps you can qualify your query and ask how do I pay for apps... what is the mechanism, or some such.

Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lol ipad hacking forums cant even talk about the real hacking :/ fail but not with out reason

Couldn't disagree more. Real hacking has NOTHING to do with piracy...

We need to educate people. I see hackers being confused with crackers and 'tuther way round. Ask a citizen what a hacker is, and a hacker is someone that "breaks into my bank account and takes my money."

The only way to steal IP from the App Store is with a hacked iThingy. End up in court because of something and it is mentioned that you know how to hack the iPad, you might be screwed because the public associates bad things with hacking and...I'll STFU now.

Some hackers do this and some crackers do it as well. Someone in the press is always talking about how some system was hacked and every web site devoted to security mentions hacking and how bad it is.

And (in my opinion only) I think the word Jailbreak is an unfortunate term because of the connotation. Do not get me started on the name, "Green Poision."

So let me ask you all this: should the general iPad user base be introduced to jailbreaking or should we simply keep it within a tight knit community? I think a JB is something many thousands of iThingy users would love but the terminology and tools scare them. Scares me, I'll tell you.

Again, no flames, just asking.

Bob Maxey

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, could be the pollyanna in me, but I read the OP request ("how do you download paid apps in cydia?") as "How do I download apps for which I have paid?"

and Bob Maxey has answered that eloquently!

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CLIP...

So let me ask you all this: should the general iPad user base be introduced to jailbreaking or should we simply keep it within a tight knit community? I think a JB is something many thousands of iThingy users would love but the terminology and tools scare them. Scares me, I'll tell you.

Bob Maxey
Good question! The real issue is whether or not one believes that jailbreaking is moral/ethical/legal. IMHO, I paid for the device, I have the right to do whatever I want to it, but Apple is then resolved of any requirement to support it, or replace/repair it, if I do something which damages it, or even if I don't but they detect the JB and have an exclusion clause in the warranty. I knowingly broke my part of the warranty agreement, so I'm now liable for my actions.

Using a JB'd iThingy is ok, too, as long as I pay for the apps I use and the apps I pay for don't then violate moral/ethical/legal boundaries. I, for example, have an app that lets me use my wifi ipad with BT gps. I paid for it and it doesn't violate any moral/ethical/legal boundaries. I use my iPad in a way Apple didn't intend and they have a right to reject warranty work or support as long as it is JB'd, but that's ok with me.

The problem with JB is that it then opens the door to the next event, which is in a more shadowy area...the use of the JB iThingy to obtain something for which I do not pay. Example is using my JB iPhone to get tethering for which I do not pay any extra. AT&T, my provider, will allow tethering, but sells that service. By using JB to obtain it with the products available on Cydia I am in effect getting something for free that is the legitimate business of AT&T to sell. That's closer to the edge of ethical/legal/moral behavior.

And of course pirating software is just theft, pure and simple.

So, while JB is ok in and of itself (assuming I take the responsibility for the loss of the warranty coverage), the way one uses JB'd iThingies may or may not be.

That's my $.02, anyway.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
CLIP...

Bob Maxey
Good question! The real issue is whether or not one believes that jailbreaking is moral/ethical/legal. IMHO, I paid for the device, I have the right to do whatever I want to it, but Apple is then resolved of any requirement to support it, or replace/repair it, if I do something which damages it, or even if I don't but they detect the JB and have an exclusion clause in the warranty. I knowingly broke my part of the warranty agreement, so I'm now liable for my actions.

Using a JB'd iThingy is ok, too, as long as I pay for the apps I use and the apps I pay for don't then violate moral/ethical/legal boundaries. I, for example, have an app that lets me use my wifi ipad with BT gps. I paid for it and it doesn't violate any moral/ethical/legal boundaries. I use my iPad in a way Apple didn't intend and they have a right to reject warranty work or support as long as it is JB'd, but that's ok with me.

The problem with JB is that it then opens the door to the next event, which is in a more shadowy area...the use of the JB iThingy to obtain something for which I do not pay. Example is using my JB iPhone to get tethering for which I do not pay any extra. AT&T, my provider, will allow tethering, but sells that service. By using JB to obtain it with the products available on Cydia I am in effect getting something for free that is the legitimate business of AT&T to sell. That's closer to the edge of ethical/legal/moral behavior.

And of course pirating software is just theft, pure and simple.

So, while JB is ok in and of itself (assuming I take the responsibility for the loss of the warranty coverage), the way one uses JB'd iThingies may or may not be.

That's my $.02, anyway.

Who owns the hardware and what does that really mean? Hmmm. Well, I have had the argument with others before, and it always ends up the same: hate, anger, pissed off people, clueless with fact-less opinions, and a few logical bits scattered amidst the rubble.

Apparently, the LOC and DMCA took up the question and made a rule that allows us to legally JB our devices. Here is what was said, "The Copyright Office rejected Apple’s arguments that purchasers of its iPhone software cannot copy and modify it because of the DMCA’s rules against circumventing DRM. The recommendation found that jailbreaking is indeed fair use, and further said Apple is trying to co-opt fair use for the purposes of competitive advantage."

Apple says: "Apple’s goal has always been to insure that our customers have a great experience with their iPhone and we know that jailbreaking can severely degrade the experience. As we’ve said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhone's as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably."

So yes, it is legal and no, Apple still has a right to void your warranty. Not too sure if that matters or what it costs to have a iThing repaired. The next question is can Apple void one's warranty for doing something that has been ruled OK?

So here is my view: I own my iPad. Not Apple, me, Bob. I have the right to modify it as I see fit. I do not have the right to demand warranty repairs if I screw the pooch. But I also have the obligation to follow a few rules, like making sure what I do does not violate the TOS which leads us back to Apple and if whatever rules appear in their agreement, violates warranty when it has been ruled ok.

One could argue that if I do not like the rules, I can return the product and demand a refund; I perhaps must not violate a TOS or agreement just because I think it is unfair.

Consider this: suppose Apple released a new OS, three new desktop computers, and two new laptops. They work well, but you cannot change icons or label colors. You have no access to the root file system, you cannot modify the desktop in any way, you cannot print unless you use yet another device, everything you do on the iPad must go through iTunes, and you can only install the apps available from the new Mac division of the Apple Market.

You signed an agreement and agreed to Apple's TOS when you first fired up the machine, right? Would this agreement be upheld in court? This is essentially the same situation iPad users deal with. No basic access and ONLY apps from Apple are allowed unless you do something that voids your warranty, but is currently allowed and should not void your warranty, but Apple says so and...... Circles hurt my brain.

And, as far as the general public is concerned, Apple says it damages your hardware, Apple says it ruins the user experience, and those infamous Hackers (hackers steal your personal info, remember that) use Jailbreak software to hack into the iPad where they install (or steal) software from something called Cydia and all sorts of Hacker sources. I mean, if Apple will not allow the software on their site, it must be bad, right?

Even though the description of what can happen, is not generally what happens and although the names for the tools and the act seems scary and ever so bad, the process is rather easy and gives us freedom to do exactly what every computer user EXPECTS to be able to do.

I seriously doubt any court would uphold Apple's position, no matter how it is twisted and explained as being a good thing.

So perhaps we all simply do what we want to do and let Apple come for us in the dark of night. Hey Apple? Come get me, I am in violation most likely. When you put the horse head in my bed, try not to drip blood on my carpets

Bob Maxey

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
Now just a golly darn minute hold just a sec.... Let me ask, if the rough treatment by those participating in this thread has not frightened you away and I am just e-whistling in the e-wind and you are still following it, that is..

Grammar Police, arrest me.

Two queries:

1- Do you want to know how to DL paid apps for free, because you are a thief? (Not saying you are, just asking) Or . . .,

2- Do you want to know the procedure for paying for and downloading paid apps?

Big difference.

I wondered the same thing. How do you pay for and DL paid apps? Well, here you go:

1- Find the app you want and follow the link. You will be taken to a page where you must authenticate yourself. Google or whatever is given.

2- Select your payment choice. Typically, PayPal or Amazon. Just follow the directions given after you arrive at the PayPal (for example) page, enter your account/log-in info, CC info, what have you. I am sure each seller has a different way of getting the app to you. Perhaps a link or by e-mail.

Done!

The rush to judgment exhibited by those that responded to your post is rather good in my view. I am so very tired of the stealing on the web and I will simply assume that people that ask the question want free stuff that usually requires payment.

As you might gather, mentioning jailbreaking and asking how to get free apps from the app store in the same sentence generates anger. Suppose I asked you how do I find your address, what hours are you away from home and where is the spare key? You can bet most that ask those silly questions do not want to come in and scrub your toilets; they want your stuff. Bad analogy, I am sure.

So, the next time, perhaps you can qualify your query and ask how do I pay for apps... what is the mechanism, or some such.

Bob Maxey

What does this have to do with me?

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Couldn't disagree more. Real hacking has NOTHING to do with piracy...

We need to educate people. I see hackers being confused with crackers and 'tuther way round. Ask a citizen what a hacker is, and a hacker is someone that "breaks into my bank account and takes my money."

The only way to steal IP from the App Store is with a hacked iThingy. End up in court because of something and it is mentioned that you know how to hack the iPad, you might be screwed because the public associates bad things with hacking and...I'll STFU now.

Some hackers do this and some crackers do it as well. Someone in the press is always talking about how some system was hacked and every web site devoted to security mentions hacking and how bad it is.

And (in my opinion only) I think the word Jailbreak is an unfortunate term because of the connotation. Do not get me started on the name, "Green Poision."

Bob Maxey

I treat this subject like the first rule of Fight Club.

Most reactions

Latest posts