What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Outage @ Amazon EC2 is affecting Cydia Paid Apps

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazon have been suffering a major outage for most of today which has taken down foursquare, reddit, and our favourite of all Cydia. Specifically the secure Cydia payment servers.

THIS MEANS ALL PAID CYDIA APPS WILL FAIL TO DOWNLOAD UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

If you are seeing 403 "forbidden" messages in Cydia. This is the reason. You will also not be able to get into the "My Account" section.
Because Cydia is a distributed package management solution, downloads from any of the other (free) repos should be unaffected unless they are also stored on Amazon infrastructure.

There is very little Saurik / Cydia can do about this. Nobody could or would expect a 12 hour outage at one of the largest infrastructure centres in the US.

You can check details of the outage at the North Virginia Data Centre at following URL:

AWS Service Health Dashboard - Apr 21, 2011

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Then I guess it would be a bad time to update huh? Which after reading your sn0wbreeze tut would be easy as pie. But when overwriting 4.2.1jb with 4.3.2jb I kept getting the 1600 error code when installing the modified sn0wbreeze ipsw. So I had to install factory 4.3.2 and then jb.
So that's all done....I now have cydia and kept getting a blank screen on the 'manage my account' page.....awwww geeez now what...thought I did something wrong...then I saw this thread and noticed I couldn't access it on my iPhone either. So, now I can't download pkgBackup so I can restore all packages....awwww great just great....

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering what was going on! I couldn't download an update for a paid app, and it was bothering the mess out of me.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well...atleast the "mange my account'" now displays "500 internal Server error" instead of just a blank page. Soooo it looks like they're working on it. Dammit, I need my PKGbackup to restore all my tweaks......

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Saurik has now been able to add a message to the Cydia home page.
Meanwhile Amazon have suggested the outage will be over in another 2 hours...

Personally I'm amazed at the time Amazon are taking to fix this. A 40+ hour outage of such supposedly resilient infrastructure beggars belief... Heads will surely roll?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the Playstation Network for PS3s is knocked out too. I kept getting an error saying it was under maintenance.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if apple did have something to do with it.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor Saurik seems to be last in the Amazon queue.
Still can't believe they remain down, even if it is a much lower number of websites. As he said, if anyone had predicted this infrastructure could be down for over 3 days you would have put contingency in place...

I wonder what the financial and reputational impact is for all parties? Compensation bill should be huge.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Damn...if I were saurik...I would definitely be asking for some type of re-imbursement. Dangit...all I need is PKGbackup.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is as F4780Y calls a "screenie" of the message on Cydia for those interested. (jailbreakers and non-jailbreakers) I will try to keep this updated.

Attachments

• image-545906176.png
    image-545906176.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 254
  • image-2204721578.png
    image-2204721578.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 251
  • image-3450335440.png
    image-3450335440.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 245
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
Here is as F4780Y calls a "screenie" of the message on Cydia for those interested. (jailbreakers and non-jailbreakers) I will try to keep this updated.

I think you'll find that's 3 screenies. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts