What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I set a default Internet connection?

Dagwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a BT home Hub 3 and find that whenever I switch off completely,ie a shutdown rather than a minor switch off, on restarting my IPad tries to connect to BT"s Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi with Fon which I have used when away from home. It's more a nuisance than a real problem but I would like to set a default that when in range of my HomeHub it connects automatically. Is this possible?
Dagwood

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had the same problem with BT (Blooming Trying). Eventually changed to Sky once my contract was up. BT always wanted to connect to BT Fon which I found so frustrating. Sorry that I can't give you an answer other than change ISP if you are able. It appears to be a BT issue.
Mike

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a thought, have you tried switching off 'Ask to join other networks' on your iPad in the Wi-Fi setting?
Down your way in May for a wedding. Good old Kernow!

OP
D

Dagwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought, have you tried switching off 'Ask to join other networks' on your iPad in the Wi-Fi setting?
Well done! Not quite how you suggest but it ledme to the solution. Yes, BT had made it a bit Messi (sic) and in their set-ups I was able on one to switch off an Autojoin and the other to select Forget This Network. No consistency there!
I did try exactly as you suggested ie switch off "Ask to join other networks" but while the BT settings were on it kept going back there.
Many thanks
Dagwood

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well done! Not quite how you suggest but it ledme to the solution. Yes, BT had made it a bit Messi (sic) and in their set-ups I was able on one to switch off an Autojoin and the other to select Forget This Network. No consistency there!
I did try exactly as you suggested ie switch off "Ask to join other networks" but while the BT settings were on it kept going back there.
Many thanks
Dagwood

Excellent! Like the pun re. Lionel, could start a whole thread on him but not on this forum! Personally, I found BT really problematic with all this. Glad I ditched the ISP, best decision I made in a long time. I always found that when a problem occurred and I contacted the so called help desk, the answers I received were scripted, read from a manual. Basically, as a customer I felt very frustrated. If I had to call back, which was often the case, I had to go through explaining everything all over again. It was like BT just didn't care. I am sure that there will be members on here who have probably had good service and assistance from BT, this is just my personal experience.
All in all, really pleased it is all sorted. Had me baffled initially, I must admit.

Johnboysupergolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent! Like the pun re. Lionel, could start a whole thread on him but not on this forum! Personally, I found BT really problematic with all this. Glad I ditched the ISP, best decision I made in a long time. I always found that when a problem occurred and I contacted the so called help desk, the answers I received were scripted, read from a manual. Basically, as a customer I felt very frustrated. If I had to call back, which was often the case, I had to go through explaining everything all over again. It was like BT just didn't care. I am sure that there will be members on here who have probably had good service and assistance from BT, this is just my personal experience.
All in all, really pleased it is all sorted. Had me baffled initially, I must admit.

Yes your experience has mirrored my own. Getting rid of it on Thursday and going with sky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes your experience has mirrored my own. Getting rid of it on Thursday and going with sky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am sure you will enjoy the experience. I certainly have no regrets and am more convinced that I made the right choice. One of the deciding factors was the inability by BT to supply super fast broadband, that coupled with fact that I could not receive Sky Sports without super fast broadband. Good luck and enjoy.

Most reactions

Latest posts