What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I retrieve lost ipad documents

allen319

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed on my iPad that several of my apps were missing. I proceeded to restore them to my iPad but realized that all data and documents were gone. To be specific....I had numerous documents in Quickoffice which are gone. I had dozens of usernames and passwords stored in Password Keeper which are gone. I also had several mail groups set up in Mail Shot which have vanished. I recall when I plugged into iTunes and did a sync that a box appeared that asked me if I wanted to apply the changes I made to my iPad and I clicked yes. I am not sure but I think I must have restored the iPad to a previous state and lost apps and documents. Is there anyway to restore to a previous date all my apps and related content from Time Machine? Does Time Machine Back up apps and data? Is it possible that these documents are somewhere on my iPad? Any suggestions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Provided you haven't synced since you lost the apps:

Go into iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and prevent auto syncing. This will keep the iPad from launching and syncing with iTunes when you plug it in. While you are there look at the date/time on the backup. This will give you and idea of what you are about to restore; and hold in mind that it will restore the data in all the apps, not just QuickOffice.

Plug in the iPad, right click on it in iTunes under the Devices list and choose restore from backup. You will either get the documents back or not.

Alternately you can try one of these programs on your computer to extract files from the backup. I haven't used either of them, they cost money, and the results will still depend on whether the backup still has the files in them. Up to you to decide if the risk/cost is worth the effort.

iBckupBot for iTunes: Backup Manager Software for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch (and a few other tricks)
iBackupBot - iTunes Backup Manager for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

iPhone Backup Extractor (recover lost data from iTunes backups)
iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows and Mac

To prevent this in the future I recommend getting a DropBox account. I'm pretty sure QuickOffice will let upload/download files from DropBox, which will give you backups of your documents. It is never a good idea to keep important documents in one place, especially something as inherently fragile as a mobile device.

Good luck.

OP
A

allen319

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Provided you haven't synced since you lost the apps:

Go into iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and prevent auto syncing. This will keep the iPad from launching and syncing with iTunes when you plug it in. While you are there look at the date/time on the backup. This will give you and idea of what you are about to restore; and hold in mind that it will restore the data in all the apps, not just QuickOffice.

Plug in the iPad, right click on it in iTunes under the Devices list and choose restore from backup. You will either get the documents back or not.

Alternately you can try one of these programs on your computer to extract files from the backup. I haven't used either of them, they cost money, and the results will still depend on whether the backup still has the files in them. Up to you to decide if the risk/cost is worth the effort.

iBckupBot for iTunes: Backup Manager Software for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch (and a few other tricks)
iBackupBot - iTunes Backup Manager for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

iPhone Backup Extractor (recover lost data from iTunes backups)
iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows and Mac

To prevent this in the future I recommend getting a DropBox account. I'm pretty sure QuickOffice will let upload/download files from DropBox, which will give you backups of your documents. It is never a good idea to keep important documents in one place, especially something as inherently fragile as a mobile device.

Good luck.

Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read this thread, and as my eWallet has lost important information when syncing my two iPads, I downloaded iBackupBot as suggested by twerppoet. And: it worked! It's all back. Thanks!

jamerdoris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the method above, you should prevent auto syncing when iPad connects to computer.
If you have not found the backup files, or the method that recover the previous record does works. Maybe you'd better try some third-party software. Like Moderator edit External link removed, being against the forum rules which is supporting to recover lost data from iPad directly. Have a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions