What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I mail iPhone photos to someone?

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took a few pics that I want to mail to someone. I found directions on the web, but they don't match the features on my iPhone 5s. Can someone provide me with instructions on how to do this? Thanks.

WesternGuy

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I took a few pics that I want to mail to someone. I found directions on the web, but they don't match the features on my iPhone 5s. Can someone provide me with instructions on how to do this? Thanks.

WesternGuy

Hello WesternGuy - you have an old iPhone and not sure what iOS is installed but assume the directions offered should work assuming that your photos are taken w/ the device and are being stored in the Photos app - correct? If so, see pics below from my iPad Pro (on the current iPadOS) - simply go to the Photos app and select the photo(s) you want to email; then tap the 'Share' icon > 'Mail'; finally fill in the information desired in the email draft - the photos you chose should be automatically added. Dave :)
Photos1.PNG
Photos2.PNG

OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman, thanks for the reply. I am running iOS 12.5.1 and my iPhone says that this is up to date.

I followed your instructions almost exactly, except, my app does not have an (Up Arrow), rather, it simply says (Send). When I tap the <Send> part, I get a panel Telling me that I can reduce the size - Small, Medium, Large, Actual Size. Tapping one of these does not seem to make any difference in the result - the mail does not arrive.

I do not have any problem with my iPad PRO (9.7 inch, up to date OS) as I have sent a number of photos from it to my desktop. For some reason, the iPhone does not seem to want to cooperate. Any further ideas?

WesternGuy

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
giradman, thanks for the reply. I am running iOS 12.5.1 and my iPhone says that this is up to date.

I followed your instructions almost exactly, except, my app does not have an (Up Arrow), rather, it simply says (Send). When I tap the <Send> part, I get a panel Telling me that I can reduce the size - Small, Medium, Large, Actual Size. Tapping one of these does not seem to make any difference in the result - the mail does not arrive.

I do not have any problem with my iPad PRO (9.7 inch, up to date OS) as I have sent a number of photos from it to my desktop. For some reason, the iPhone does not seem to want to cooperate. Any further ideas?

WesternGuy

Hello again - well, this time I used my iPhone XR (iOS 14.4.1) - see pics below - opened the Photos App > Selected 2 Swan images; the 'Share' icon is at the bottom left of this page in my app - select 'Share' which opens the next page > Mail; the 2 images are inserted into an email draft (last pic).

Hope that this works for you. If not, I would suggest a 'Force Close' of the Photos app, then re-check (have not used your older iOS on an old iPhone, so you'll have to google the steps); if still an issue, do a 'hard reset' of the iPhone (no data, settings, etc. will be lost). Good luck - Dave :)

iPhone1.PNG
iPhone2.PNG

iPhone3.PNG

OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman, thanks for the very detailed reply. It is appreciated. I have tried everything you have suggested, but no change, so I do not know what to do. It isn't that serious, just a real nuisance that I guess I will have to live with. Thanks very much for your input. Maybe I will take it to my local Apple store and see what they can do for me, if anything.

WesternGuy

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
giradman, thanks for the very detailed reply. It is appreciated. I have tried everything you have suggested, but no change, so I do not know what to do. It isn't that serious, just a real nuisance that I guess I will have to live with. Thanks very much for your input. Maybe I will take it to my local Apple store and see what they can do for me, if anything.

WesternGuy

If not already done, did you try my suggestions in the second paragraph of my last post, i.e. force closing Photos first, and if of no help, doing a 'hard reset' of the iPhone? Dave :)

OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman, here is the direction I get if I Google "force closing" Photos:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I force quit a photo app?
If the app still doesn't quit, then follow these steps:
  1. Simultaneously press these three keys: Option, Command, and Esc (Escape).
  2. Select the app in the Force Quit window, and then click Force Quit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, I can find no way to execute the first instruction as it suggests a keyboard is available and it is not, or I do not know where to find these keys, so the second command is not available. This raises the question of how do I "force close the Photos app?". I am afraid that I am over my head when it comes to "force closing an app". As far as a "hard reset" of the phone is considered, everything I read on the web says that "A hard reset will restore the iPhone's setting to its initial configuration by clearing all the third-party applications, data, user settings, saved passwords, and user accounts. The process would delete all stored data on the iPhone." This is not something that I want to do - lose all stored data, etc.

I am afraid that I am still at a loss as to how to make this functionality work. As I indicated previously, I will probably take this to my Apple store to see if they can help me.

Thank you very much for all the time and effort that you spent trying to help me make this work, to no avail. It is very much appreciated.

WesternGuy

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those instructions are for force-closing an app on a Mac. To force-close an app on the iPhone 5S, double click the home button which reveals a display of all the currently open apps. Swipe left or right to bring the photos app to the centre and swipe up on it to force-close the app.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Those instructions are for force-closing an app on a Mac. To force-close an app on the iPhone 5S, double click the home button which reveals a display of all the currently open apps. Swipe left or right to bring the photos app to the centre and swipe up on it to force-close the app.

@ WesternGuy - well, as stated by Scifan.. you have given directions for a macOS computer (one that I use on my laptops & iMac) - but follow his advice on force closing the Photos App on an iPad; if that is not effective then do a 'hard reset' of the phone; scroll down to the specific directions for your model iPhone HERE - good luck. Dave :)

OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Folks. Sorry for not responding earlier, but life intervened. I think I may have found the root of my problem. Took me a while, but maybe this is it. I have a bare minimum account with voice only and "No Data", which probably means that I cannot send pictures that I take with my iPhone camera to anyone, including me. Thoughts anyone?

WesternGuy

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Folks. Sorry for not responding earlier, but life intervened. I think I may have found the root of my problem. Took me a while, but maybe this is it. I have a bare minimum account with voice only and "No Data", which probably means that I cannot send pictures that I take with my iPhone camera to anyone, including me. Thoughts anyone?

Hello again - can you provide a link to your cell phone provider and to the plan you are on? Someone may be on the same or similar plan and has solved the issue, just another thought. Also, did you do a 'hard reset' on your phone according to the link I provided previously? Good luck - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts