What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get an iPad3?

Mint1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the (hopefully) impending release of the iPad3, I've broken down and decided to get a tablet. I recall reading that previous models sold out very quickly. What advice do you have for someone who doesn't want to camp out in front of an Apple store? From people's past experiences, will I be able to order it online without waiting months? Should I try to order it the moment it becomes available online? How long until stock is predicted to be easily available in the Apple store? Thanks.

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your best bet is to just wait for the rush to pass, this does a few things. It keeps you out of the storm on release day, and if you hold off buying for a while it gives you time to watch the actual customer reviews to see if there are any major problems with the device.
Smart thing to do would be just save your money, let everyone else do the leg work on it and you gain from it. Better to find out before you spend your money if there are any problems with the new pad than after you have forked out the hundreds of dollars.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Order online from Apple. No muss, no fuss, and you'll get one quickly.

If you have probs, you're under an exchange and return period, 90 days' free AppleCare (tech support) and a one-year warranty.

OP
M

Mint1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks.

Order online from Apple. No muss, no fuss, and you'll get one quickly.

If you have probs, you're under an exchange and return period, 90 days' free AppleCare (tech support) and a one-year warranty.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, if we're lucky, Apple will allow for pre-orders, just like the iPhone 4S. So, you can pre-order it and it'll be delivered the day it's released. You don't have to stand in line ... but you get it the same day as the "line standers" do.

That's what I'm hoping for - a pre-order.

And, welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visit(s). When you get it, you'll have to tell us how you like the new iPad, given you have no others to compare to.

Marilyn

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That goes for me too. I was ready to buy an iPad2 but then bought an iPhone 4s which I returned to AT&T within 24 hours because I didn't have a signal at home. Got a refund after about 6 weeks and a number of calls. Only had to pay a $35 restocking fee and <$3 for return shipment. BTW I dealt with really great CS reps.
Now I can't wait to get my hands on the iPad 3

Yeah, if we're lucky, Apple will allow for pre-orders, just like the iPhone 4S. So, you can pre-order it and it'll be delivered the day it's released. You don't have to stand in line ... but you get it the same day as the "line standers" do.

That's what I'm hoping for - a pre-order.

And, welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visit(s). When you get it, you'll have to tell us how you like the new iPad, given you have no others to compare to.

Marilyn

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
apple didn't allow pre-orders for the iPad 2, we will have to wait and see if that is the case.

If you want to actually go to an apple store on launch day and get one you will have to get their early and line up if you plan to get a 16gig model. The 16ig will sell out first followed by 32gig and 64gig. So keep that in mind if you plan to line up, Cheaper model is going to require you line up earlier.

If you miss the launch you will have to wait a few weeks to have one delivered by ordering online. Also you can expect people to start lining up every single morning at the apple stores, just in case they get any new ones. The stores can get new shipments each day and start selling them the following morning. My mother wanted an iPad 2 after launch and I remember it was a pain to find one. She placed an order online and it was back ordered for a month. I went and lined up in front of the apple store on a saturday morning to see if they would have any for the day. They opened and only have verizon models, then me and the rest of the people jumped in our cars and raced over to the Best Buy that opened an hour after the apple store. She did finally end up getting one like this and canceled the online order instead of waiting the full month for it to ship.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From past experience: Order as soon as orders are allowed and it takes one to two weeks if they don't allow pre-orders. Delay, and it will take longer until Apple clears back logged orders. When you order online, they tell you how long the order will take.

I've ordered multiple iPads from Apple previously for me and others, and the last one ordered during iPad 2 rush arrived about 10 days early from what Apple estimated (by then, delivery was supposed to take four weeks).

Last time, Best Buy was taking $100 deposits on iPads. You paid $100, they'd take down the model you wanted, then they'd call you when it arrived. Your $100 would be applied toward the cost of your iPad.

Biddy44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 was my first Apple purchase, and my method worked better than i expected. I was determined not to stand in line for hours with the sheeple, so no Apple store or Best Buy for me, but I wanted an iPad day one since I was leaving for an extended trip the next morning. I thought about who was selling who might not attract a crowd. Ended up at Wal Mart-- in at 4:35, #2 in line, out at 5:02 with the model I wanted under my arm. 2 miles away the Apple Store and Best Buy had hundreds of people in line, many of whom didn't get an iPad that day.

I may just have gotten lucky, but think about trying that method if you can't wait a few weeks.

Last edited:

iBenji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The hope is that apple will allow preorders. If they don't, I would try going out to the Apple store and fighting the rush to try and get one on launch day. It will probably seem pretty chaotic but it will be worth it. Pre order if they have the option to do do though.

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was determined to own an asus prime. I pre ordered in two stores and as luck would have it I realized no matter what I owned at the time I was going to have an ip3.
I own an ip2 since several weeks after it launched.
Luckily for me the all mighty " iPad killer " asus prime tab and dock turned out and still is a big disappointment for thousands. Wifi and gps issues took over instantly and now it's not so much a killer of anything but people's wallets.
Do not expect issues from ip3 . They pretty much have the technology down pat. apple is the best at what they do. Give it a shot early on but whatever the outcome, Everyone will get one.
Now , who is thinking about owning the ipad4 ? Ooh ooh Me , me , me

Most reactions

Latest posts