What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i fix my ipad? screen is fuzzy with big gray lines that distort everything

angelot209

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying to see if anyone else has this same problem? i dont know what caused this. I want to know if i need to buy a new screen and digitizer? or if its just a loose wire. please help.

ps i have tried slapping it in the back but nothing.

Attachments

• 12255617_1165819926780719_905517766_o.jpg
    12255617_1165819926780719_905517766_o.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 9,527
OP
angelot209

angelot209

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like a loose lcd connector or some board damage. What version of iPad is it and did anything happen prior to the display acting up?
it is an ipad 2. and i think it fell. maybe someone in my house dropped it. you think replacing the lcd and digitizer would fix the problem? or is this board damage unfixable?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
it is an ipad 2. and i think it fell. maybe someone in my house dropped it. you think replacing the lcd and digitizer would fix the problem? or is this board damage unfixable?
Odd, it doesn't look like an iPad 2 in the pic. Do you mean a mini 2? If it is an iPad 2 then it can be taken to a repair shop and have the LCD cable reconnected properly. Or if you have DIY Electronic experience, you could do it yourself with some help from sites like ifixit.com . I would not recommend this as your first repair project though as iPad repair can be trying of patience to say the least.

Now if it is a Mini 2, it might be a chip issue and not economically repairable. I had a mini 2 come across my bench looking similar to your pic and couldn't nail down what the cause was. Wound up telling the customer to take it to Apple for an Out of Warranty Replacement ($199 US).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably and iPad 2. The buttons should be the same size on both. Eyeballing it the bottom of the iPad 2 should be about 8 from center to edge. The iPad Mini 2 is about 5. I've been watching beginner drawing lessons on Youtube, so I'm 'temporarily' tuned to that kind of thing.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably and iPad 2. The buttons should be the same size on both. Eyeballing it the bottom of the iPad 2 should be about 8 from center to edge. The iPad Mini 2 is about 5. I've been watching beginner drawing lessons on Youtube, so I'm 'temporarily' tuned to that kind of thing.
I still think it's a mini in that pic the width of the bezel on the sides and how it is countersunk in the aluminum frame screams mini or air to me. But I could be wrong ...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I still think it's a mini in that pic the width of the bezel on the sides and how it is countersunk in the aluminum frame screams mini or air to me. But I could be wrong ...

You're right. I was using an iPad Air for my comparison on this end. I forgot the iPad 2 had a wider bezel. Also, looking at it again, the button to width ratio is about right for what I said an iPad Mini 2 would have. No idea how I got everything turned around. Maybe that's why I need those drawing lessons. :)

OP
angelot209

angelot209

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd, it doesn't look like an iPad 2 in the pic. Do you mean a mini 2? If it is an iPad 2 then it can be taken to a repair shop and have the LCD cable reconnected properly. Or if you have DIY Electronic experience, you could do it yourself with some help from sites like ifixit.com . I would not recommend this as your first repair project though as iPad repair can be trying of patience to say the least.

Now if it is a Mini 2, it might be a chip issue and not economically repairable. I had a mini 2 come across my bench looking similar to your pic and couldn't nail down what the cause was. Wound up telling the customer to take it to Apple for an Out of Warranty Replacement ($199 US).

hey this is an ipad mini 2. i still have not found a fix. so you think its a chip issue?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As Brain said. It is almost certain to be a harware issue; lose cable or damaged display chips.

If you haven't done so you cna try a reset (hold down the home and power button until the Apple logo appears), but if that doesn't fix it, then there's nothing else you can do except take it to Apple or another (certified) repair center and get their oppinion.

Or, you can try fixing it. Yourself. Decdent instructions can be found at the ifixit.com site. But be warned, this takes some basic tech skills, a lot of patience, and the abiltiy to follow instrucions to the T; with no guarnateed results.

I've never felt the urge to try it myself. Or to be more precise, I've never had a broken iPad that I thought was worth the trouble.

OP
angelot209

angelot209

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Brain said. It is almost certain to be a harware issue; lose cable or damaged display chips.

If you haven't done so you cna try a reset (hold down the home and power button until the Apple logo appears), but if that doesn't fix it, then there's nothing else you can do except take it to Apple or another (certified) repair center and get their oppinion.

Or, you can try fixing it. Yourself. Decdent instructions can be found at the ifixit.com site. But be warned, this takes some basic tech skills, a lot of patience, and the abiltiy to follow instrucions to the T; with no guarnateed results.

I've never felt the urge to try it myself. Or to be more precise, I've never had a broken iPad that I thought was worth the trouble.

dang I'm going to try and open it then. do you know of what I should be looking for? sucks how this stuff happens.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the problem is a failed chip or other component, it may or may not be apparent when making a visual inspection of the internal component parts of your iPad. If nothing is visually amiss, you'll need diagnostic equipment to track down the source of the problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
dang I'm going to try and open it then. do you know of what I should be looking for? sucks how this stuff happens.

Brian would be a better guide for that. Whatever you do, don't just brute force it. Go to ifixit.com and read through the instrucitons carefully. iPads are not made to be opened by consumers, and you can easily cause more damage than you fix if you're not 'very' careful.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's likely the chip . Unless you have experience opening iPads, I would not recommend trying to open it. You will likely do more harm than good and the odds are that there will be nothing you can do to fix it. First thing I would recommend is taking it to the Apple store for a diagnostic.
You may also want to consider an out of warranty replacement (if you have no Apple care or warranty left). This runs around $200 last time I checked.

Most reactions

Latest posts