What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopelessly basic Q. Again!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
An app is short for application. It is the same thing as what we called programs on a computer. It's a bit of software that runs on your computer or device that does a specific job. All of the icons on your iPad that came with the iPad are apps. Anything you download from the App Store is an app.

Both Mail and Safari are apps. However, when it comes down to getting mail, they work differently.

Safari is an app that lets you go to various sites on the internet to do things. Some sites are just collections of information, like a blog or a news site. Other's can be compicated remote applications. They work much like apps, but they do not run on you iPad. All you are seeing on the iPad is the interface that lets you enter and see information. All the instructions, data storage, and other stuff that makes the site work are done on computers elsewhere.

Mail is an app that runs on the iPad. It connects to the internet, but all it does is receive and send emails from another computer on the internet. All the interface, instructions, storage and other stuff are on the iPad.

Actually it's more complicated that these two simple descriptions. Some website can and do store some information locally on the iPad. Some apps can and do store information on servers on the internet. But in general, this is the difference,

The main difference between using the two that when a website can get your email, it usually doesn't work at all. The problem will be obvious, like you inbox won't apear, or maybe the entire site refuses to work. When the Mail app has problems it might look fine, like you just didn't get any email. All your old emails will the there. Mail will seem to work just fine even when you don't have internet access. There will be indications it doesn't work but they will be subtle.

But none of that is overly important when it comes to email delays. These delays are almost always caused by issues between the two email services. Email does not go directly from one device to another. When you send and email it goes to your email provider. From there it goes to at least one intermediary server which sill decide on the destination address. That server (or servers) will eventually send it to your mother's email service, which will eventually send it to the recipient email app (when it is available).

There are multiple things that can go wrong at any point to delay or even lose email. Serves go down, become overloaded, or lose connections. It does not happen often, but it does happen. It happens more often for emails with large attachments like photos and documents, but any email can be delayed.

For a time, Yahoo mail was notoriously unreliable. I don't know how they are doing now, but since I don't hear about it much I'm guessing better (or everybody left). Email associated with local internet providers are mixed bag of limited and/or unreliable service.

If you are looking for solid proof that your mother lied, you are not going to find it in the way email is delivered, or how apps work.

OP
S
Reaction score
if you want a better (and probably more accurate) description of how email works, just search for "How Email Works" on the web. There are a lot of articles.
Hi twerppoet, but I don't think I want or need to know how email work.. the information obtained should I do so, will have words such as "interface" which is totally beyond me. We don't need to know how the minutiae & intricacies of how desisgners actually make email perform, to use it. Same as a car: we all drive cars, but we don't need to know how the thermostat's function uses antifreeze & regulates the temperature & provides internal heating. We just drive it, put the heater on when we need to.

Apologies, but I can only understand a fifth of your prior email. Its far beyond me to possibly comprehend. All we surely are expected to know, and indeed need to, in order to know what to expect using basics like send an email.. is simply when it might arrive. What is the normal timeframe, expectations once sent. Iknow from experience, it's seconds. Always has been. Never a delay. Until this one.

The only thing I can guage as to a reason.. is that it arrived in an App. Not like mine, which arrives in a tab, on the internet. But then you say safari ( I understand this is like the old Windows.. but that's all I need, or can cope with understanding, so it's a web browser)... is itself... an "App". So how can I possibly now comprehend the difference- this I catagorically know as fact- that there IS IS IS a difference, it seems conclusive then, between receiveing an email 'directly sent to an app', as opposed to receiving on 'directly sent to a webpage within an app'.

So... it's impossible for me to understand is the conclusion.

Thanks anyway, schwanger

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, but I don't think I want or need to know how email work.. the information obtained should I do so, will have words such as "interface" which is totally beyond me. We don't need to know how the minutiae & intricacies of how desisgners actually make email perform, to use it. Same as a car: we all drive cars, but we don't need to know how the thermostat's function uses antifreeze & regulates the temperature & provides internal heating. We just drive it, put the heater on when we need to.

Apologies, but I can only understand a fifth of your prior email. Its far beyond me to possibly comprehend. All we surely are expected to know, and indeed need to, in order to know what to expect using basics like send an email.. is simply when it might arrive. What is the normal timeframe, expectations once sent. Iknow from experience, it's seconds. Always has been. Never a delay. Until this one.

The only thing I can guage as to a reason.. is that it arrived in an App. Not like mine, which arrives in a tab, on the internet. But then you say safari ( I understand this is like the old Windows.. but that's all I need, or can cope with understanding, so it's a web browser)... is itself... an "App". So how can I possibly now comprehend the difference- this I catagorically know as fact- that there IS IS IS a difference, it seems conclusive then, between receiveing an email 'directly sent to an app', as opposed to receiving on 'directly sent to a webpage within an app'.

So... it's impossible for me to understand is the conclusion.

Thanks anyway, schwanger
Having even a basic knowledge of the mechanics of your car will make you a better driver. The same applies to computing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Having even a basic knowledge of the mechanics of your car will make you a better driver. The same applies to computing.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Last week my car thermostat was explained to me. My driving capability has not changed an iota between before not knowing this, to afterwards. I still put the heater on when I need to, & expect it to work in 1 second after I turn the dial.

Most reactions

Latest posts