What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home sharing

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes, probably, but I've read over the rest of the thread and I can't think of anything that has been missed.

The goal now is to figure out why the Home Sharing account settings are not showing up in Settings > iPad. Do you have any Restrictions set? I don't think that would make a deference, but at this point anything is worth a try.

No restrictions that I am aware of. Thanks for continuing to help resolve matter.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drover said:
No restrictions that I am aware of. Thanks for continuing to help resolve matter.

Have turned restrictions off but no change.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, gruffy. did it...........been struggling with this prob for a few days andothers are confused as weell as you and me

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you ping the iPad from the desktop PC?

If you can't there is a fundamental network issue rather than a iTunes issue.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
Can you ping the iPad from the desktop PC?

If you can't there is a fundamental network issue rather than a iTunes issue.

Not tried that, mate. Am away from PC at this time. Will try it, although I have never used Ping. Am sat up in bed now and if I fall down stairs to get to PC is your bl??y fault!

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Just double checked, you must be running iOS 4.3 or later for Home Sharing.

iOS: Setting up Home Sharing on your device

Got 4.3........thanks for your continued support but have already tried all suggestions. Maybe I should video my moves to probe that I have followed correct procedures! If I have missed something I will be the first to hold my hands up.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said earlier if you can't ping the iPad from the PC then the problem is a network issue and that's what I'm beginning to suspect.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
As I said earlier if you can't ping the iPad from the PC then the problem is a network issue and that's what I'm beginning to suspect.

How do you ping iPad?

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drover said:
Have no trouble accessing Utube through Netgear Fast 100 router.

Got Utube favs and lots of playlists on both devices!

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you ping iPad?

find out the iPads IP address
Settings
WiFi
Click on the right arrow beside the wiireless network name that you are connected to
Under the DHCP tab there will be an IP address, something like 192.168.x.xxx
Write it down.

In Windows XP

Start
Run
Type in the box "cmd" (no quotes, short for command) and push Enter and you will get a DOS box on the screen
at the prompt type (no quotes) ping 192.168.x.xxx (whatever the IP address you wrote down was, a space after the word ping but no others) and push Enter
You will get a line that says it's pinging then four lines of replies then some statistics.
Basically all you need to see is that you get 4 replies the rest is mumbo jumbo. If you DO NOT get 4 replies it indicates that there is some sort of network problem and that will be where you need to look rather than on the iPad.
To close the cmd box just type "exit" and push enter.

I can't help you with how to bring up a DOS box in Windows 7 I assume it will be via a similar method.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
find out the iPads IP address
Settings
WiFi
Click on the right arrow beside the wiireless network name that you are connected to
Under the DHCP tab there will be an IP address, something like 192.168.x.xxx
Write it down.

In Windows XP

Start
Run
Type in the box "cmd" (no quotes, short for command) and you will get a DOS box on the screen
at the prompt type (no quotes) ping 192.168.x.xxx (whatever the IPS adddress you wrote down was) and push Enter
You will get a line that says it's pinging then four lines of replies then some statistics.
Basically all you need to see is that you get 4 replies the rest is mumbo jumbo. If you DO NOT get 4 replies it indicates that there is some sort of network problem and that will be where you need to look rather than on the iPad.
To close the cmd box just type "exit" and push enter.

I can't help you with how to bring up a DOS box in Windows 7 I assume it will be via a similar method.

All packets sent and recvd 0 lost reached 188ms"

Most reactions