What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Intermittent Hime Sharing

herbert305

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to get Home Sharing to work between my iPad 2 and my PC running Windows 7 Home Premium. I enable Home Sharing on both devices and the result is only sporadic ability to connect to the PC libraries or use the Remote App on the iPad. I've gone so far as to completely uninstall and reinstall iTunes (I'm now on10.5.2.11) without any real change. I've check the network configuration and both devices are using the same DHCP server to obtain their address. I've even gone so far as to disable the firewall on my PC, without any luck.

Any assistance with this Problem would be greatly appreciated.

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, as far as setting up shared folders etc.. Well between two or more PC's it is easy but between an iPad and a PC.. Hmmm, not such a walk in the park.

I have opted for a free 'Dropbox' account to share random Office documents and pictures between my PC which also runs Windows 7, 'Air Playit HD' to stream movies and music to my iPad as well as convert and save for offline viewing and 'Real VNC' for remote desktop (great for using Word or Excel 2007 on my iPad without attempting to manage with a half decent after-market app). The only other thing I use is 'ActivePrint' to allow me to print to my Epsom DX4400 printer on my home PC :)

All three of the above apps are available from the app store for a lot less than any one of the Microsoft Office knock off apps which incidentally don't do the job!

Hope this helped somewhat.

OP
H

herbert305

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, but what I'm trying to do is share my media library with my iPad (using the native iTunes and Video apps) and use the Remote App to control iTunes. So I'm not looking for file sharing in the true sense (I have an app called FileBrowser that handles SMB shares very nicely).

Pegasusl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this is now a closed thread, but this issue has just raised its head for me. I have an iPhone4 on iOS 6.1.3 and an iPad2 (wifi only) on the same iOS, iTunes 11 on a PC running Win7 64bit.

For some reason my iphone is able to use home sharing no problem, but my iPad would not connect at all. Video got to about half way round the loading circle then froze, and music just never even started to connect to my shared library. Since it was fine on the iPhone I was sure it was a problem local to the iPad and both of them were on the latest iOS.

I went searching (there are literally thousands of threads about home sharing issues) and eventually found a solution that did work for me!

In the device that fails to connect on iOS6, goto settings > general > reset > reset network settings. Restart the device and try again.

This sounds like it derives from a simple wifi glitch but it worked for me so thought I'd share....

Most reactions