What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Button Problem

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a problem. I have an iPad air 2. It's not on warranty. The Home button is broken. I push it and nothing happens. Since Apple will not replace the IPad, what are my options? Is there someplace I can go to get it fixed? Thanks for your help.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A Reputable 3rd Party repair shop should be able to fix it for you. Please note that once you replace the home button , Touch ID and Apple Pay will no longer function on your iPad. There is also "Assistive Touch" in the Accessibility menu that will provide an on screen home button.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A Reputable 3rd Party repair shop should be able to fix it for you. Please note that once you replace the home button , Touch ID and Apple Pay will no longer function on your iPad. There is also "Assistive Touch" in the Accessibility menu that will provide an on screen home button.

Hi Brian - just for my clarification, does a 'replaced home button' which no longer provides Touch ID & Apple Pay not function because of the replacement used, lack of internal connections, and/or related to an Apple warranty issue? Thanks for any further information - just curious. Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The original home button is coded to pair with the logic board. When the home button is replaced, that code needs to be reset. If the code is not reset then the new home button will disable touch ID. The only place that can be done is at Apple (or a certified repair center with the proper equipment which is kept under lock and key). This is done as a security measure to avoid someone creating a fake home button that can bypass Touch ID.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How could someone make a fake home button. Unless it was a person that saw how iPads are made.?.??

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How could someone make a fake home button. Unless it was a person that saw how iPads are made.?.??
Companies have been making counterfeit Apple parts almost from the time iPads, iPhones, and iPods were first released.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The 'fake' home button threat isn't a fake part that gets put on your iPad to fool you. It's a gadget that fools the iPad into thinking it's seeing a legitimate fingerprint. The actual device would probably be a box or bread-board of components plugged into the home button's socket on the mother board.

Paring the home button with the secure enclave on the iPad makes this extermemly difficult.

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I read this and didn't go to the local repair shop. My home button is barely responsive too. I sure like Touch ID. I'm getting by with Assistive Touch. I'll get the new Pro when it's released.

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of the cost of the home button replacement? I've tried all online repair suggestions. It's not like the button is sticky, it's lost its spring I'll be giving this iPad to one of the kids so it might be worth repairing.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad I read this and didn't go to the local repair shop. My home button is barely responsive too. I sure like Touch ID. I'm getting by with Assistive Touch. I'll get the new Pro when it's released.

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of the cost of the home button replacement? I've tried all online repair suggestions. It's not like the button is sticky, it's lost its spring I'll be giving this iPad to one of the kids so it might be worth repairing.

Hello - I'm sure that you read Brian's post #4 - appears that you will need to visit an official Apple store or an 'authorized' Apple repair facility - if these are not available in your area, give Apple customer service a call to see what your options may be and to obtain a cost estimate. Good luck - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts