What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High temperature warning when very cold.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, I left my iPad Air 1 (iOS 8.1.2) on my car seat today. It got cold. It was as cold as if you left it in a household refrigerator overnight.

When I turned it on, I got a temperature warning. It had a little red thermometer and the words "iPad needs to COOL down before you can use it" I capitalized cool, because it already was very cool. I found that strange.

I've seen this warning when I've left the thing in the sun in the summer.. That makes sense. But it was strange to see a high temperature warning when it was near very near the freezing point.

Has anyone else experienced this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is odd.

But, hold in mind the iPad's operating range has a minimum as well as a maximum temprature. If it was too cold odd behavior certainly possible. Still, fist I've heard this one.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the problem crops up again when the temperature is in range.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is odd.

But, hold in mind the iPad's operating range has a minimum as well as a maximum temprature. If it was too cold odd behavior certainly possible. Still, fist I've heard this one..

I'm thinking that there is a maximum and minimum temperature that the iPad detects and if it is outside the boundaries, it calls up the 'Temperature Error' routine. I guess they only have a High temperature warning, so it serves for both high and low temps.. Yes it is strange :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is all Iv'e seen on the subject, by Apple anyway.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range may temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when the device is brought back to higher ambient temperatures. -- http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678

blouwagie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I left my iPad Air 1 (iOS 8.1.2) on my car seat today. It got cold. It was as cold as if you left it in a household refrigerator overnight.

When I turned it on, I got a temperature warning. It had a little red thermometer and the words "iPad needs to COOL down before you can use it" I capitalized cool, because it already was very cool. I found that strange.

I've seen this warning when I've left the thing in the sun in the summer.. That makes sense. But it was strange to see a high temperature warning when it was near very near the freezing point.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes the very same thing happened with me. A cold ipad refuses to work because "it is too hot"...

Kieran2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never heard of this warning before, I suggest you contact apple support at the following web address http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ you will need to select your device then choose a option eg. charging and say it's not listed then you can call them, email them or do a online chat. I hope I helped kind regards,
kieran

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb whenever you bring in your iPad (or any other electronic device) you should wait at least 15-30 minutes or so before turning on the power. This is to allow the device to warm up and prevent condensation which may occur that would short out the electronics and damage the device.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts