What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold iPad = very dim screen?

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I accidentally placed my iPad in my backpack next to a frozen dinner I planned to have for lunch, then forgot my bag in the car. By the time I got back to pick it up a couple hours later, the iPad, in it's Apple case, was cold to the touch. When I tried to power it on the screen was extremely dim and barely visible. I crossed my fingers, left it out of the bag for a few hours, and when I returned it was at normal temperature and worked just fine.

Is that a common occurrence, and if so... why? :confused:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Extreme Heat. You never want to leave your iPad in heat over 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius).* This will damage it and could cause it to stop working.* It could also shorten the battery life significantly.
Extreme Cold. You also never want to leave your iPad in cold below 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius).* As with the heat this will damage it and could cause it to stop working.* It could also shorten the battery life significantly.

OP
iChuckNorris

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figures. At least it is working fine now, and I haven't noticed any battery life issues. Thanks for the info!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My car has a color screen similar to that of the iPad's for information display and sat nav (it's touch sensitive too). On cold mornings (and there are a lot of those in Scotland!) the screen is noticeably dimmer than 'normal'. Once it's been on for a while and the car has warmed up, it returns to normal.

Tim
Scotland

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My laptop does the same thing, when using it at home, the room it gets used in the most has no heat, the screen sometimes is really dim untill it starts to warm up after a few mins it is fine.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the main thing you need to worry about when going from extreme cold to a warmer temp is condensation. you can really end up with a brick.

extreme processor cooling produces the same problems so measures must be taken to keep water from shorting out your parts.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Extreme Heat. ... It could also shorten the battery life significantly.
Extreme Cold. ... It could also shorten the battery life significantly.

Weee! I can't wait until we all have electric cars!

Most reactions

Latest posts